Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2013 22:00

Inspiron 15R - No HDMI audio out since I installed Windows 8.1

HDMI audio worked fine in Windows 8, no sound in Windows 8.1.  Video is fine.  No HDMI option in Playback settings... any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 26th, 2013 06:00

Hello. Is is one of the 15R's that support 8.1? They are the Inspiron 5520, 5521, 5537. Dell recommends against using 8.1 on the other 15R models (Inspiron N5110 & M5110).

There should be at least 2 audio drivers available, one from Dell and a generic driver included with Windows. I would try installing or re-installing the audio driver from Dell.

HDMI audio is an aspect of the graphics driver. I would try installing or re-installing the graphics driver as supplied by Dell. If your model has both an integrated (Intel) graphics and also a discrete graphics, install both.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 26th, 2013 06:00

I might have read your post wrong where you said "no sound in Windows 8.1." If the sound works okay except with HDMI, ignore what I wrote about audio drivers. It would be related to the graphics driver. See the HDMI Audio FAQ for more about it, but nothing there about 8.1.

3 Posts

October 26th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the post.  This is a brand new 15R (looks like 5537 on the invoice sheet).  The sound works from the internal speakers, just not via HDMI. 

3 Posts

October 27th, 2013 17:00

Installed all the Win 8.1 drivers from the Dell site for my laptop.  Connected it to the TV and it worked!  Tried it again later in the evening and it no longer works.  The HDMI device in Playback Devices was no longer there... this is very annoying.  The TV and HDMI cable work flawlessly with my work PC (Dell Latitude E6230) running Windows 7.  Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 27th, 2013 20:00

Just the same old idea -- re-install the graphic driver(s). It appears that the Inspiron 5537 has both Intel integrated and Raedon discrete graphics. I would re-install both then try using each graphics system individually with HDMI. It might work better with the Intel than with the Raedon, or vice versa. If still no luck you might try contacting Tech Support.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2013 02:00

I had the same issue and I just bought it and installed windows 8.1.

it is no annoying is unacceptable. I'm not an expert of installing and re-installing drivers and how can i be sure to follow all the correct steps.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 11th, 2013 04:00

I had the same issue and I just bought it and installed windows 8.1.... how can i be sure to follow all the correct steps.

You say you have the "same issue". Does that mean you also have the Inspiron 5537 model? If that is your model, go to the Inspiron 15R 5537 downloads page. When you get on that page, select "MS Windows 8.1 64 bit" in the drop down menu.

Wait a moment then scroll down to the Video category. Expand the category to see the 3 video drivers. Yours will be the Intel driver and one of the AMD Raedon drivers. Consult your invoice to see which version of the Raedon is in your laptop.

Download your drivers but don't click on the words "Download File". Instead, click on the driver's name in blue letters. That will take you to that driver's page. (If your browser has an option to open the page in a new tab then use that.) On the driver's page, there are instructions for how to download and install it. Just follow those instructions.

Then go back to the Inspiron 5537 download page to get your other video driver. If you have to use your browser's back button to get there (if you did not open the driver page in a different tab) then when you back to the downloads page you must re-select "MS Windows 8.1 64 bit" in the drop down menu because that selection is not saved.

If you need instructions on "updating" the Intel driver, those are in the FAQ I linked to earlier.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

November 14th, 2013 13:00

Hi Francesco. I didn't get the name of your laptop. Is it the Inspiron 5537 model or a different one?

5 Posts

November 14th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Jimco, there is no mention about the AMD Raedon drivers in the invoice or in my order so I have no idea which one I have to install :(

That's really annoying.

Ciao
Francesco

5 Posts

November 14th, 2013 14:00

hi sorry... yes it is the 5537.

Thanks

2 Posts

November 16th, 2013 15:00

same situation, dell inspiron 15r, windows upgraded to 8.1, the sound stop working via hdmi, I hope Dell quickly correct the situation and not be limited only to recommend that not install windows 8.1, it is not what I expect from a laptop that buy new 2 months ago

1 Message

November 17th, 2013 17:00

Hdmi audio is not related to audio drivers but to video. To solve the problem simply go to Dell support page, download video drivers for your laptop and install them. Windows will try to tell you, that you already have drivers, that are newer that the ones you are trying to install. Ignore the message and continue with original drivers installation. Audio will be available after reboot. Worked for me.

5 Posts

November 20th, 2013 12:00

Hi, I was able to fix the issue just installing the Intel driver.

Unfortunately it is not clear how to understand the right AMD raedon drivers version.

Ciao
Francesco

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 08:00

works with Intel driver , thanks a lot

No Events found!