Highlighted
bwl17
Copper

Inspiron 15R SE won't automatically switch from headphones to speakers since updating to Windows 10

Since I updated my Inspiron 15R SE to Windows 10 I am having a problem with my sound, in that I have to manually change between speakers and headphones any time I want to switch my sound output. 

When I used to plug my headphones in I got a popup asking me to select what I had plugged in, but that disappeared too. 

I also now get a popup on startup saying that a Conexant audio device could not be found and the application will now exit. 

I have looked in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers as I have seen suggested elsewhere but the only two options there are High Definition Audio Device and Intel Display Audio, neither of which seem to be any help. 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jim Coates
Diamond

RE: Inspiron 15R SE won't automatically switch from headphones to speakers since updating to Windows 10

the only two options there are High Definition Audio Device and Intel Display Audio

Hello. When you installed the new operating system, it removed your Conexant audio driver, and installed its own native driver. "High Definition Audio Device" is the native driver. Display Audio is the driver for HDMI audio -- that one is only a factor when your have an HDMI cable attached to the laptop.

You can download and install the Conexant audio driver from your Dell support page. If your laptop model is Inspiron 15R SE 7520, then this is the Win10 Conexant driver for that model.

When I used to plug my headphones in I got a popup asking me to select what I had plugged in, but that disappeared too. 

If the Conexant Win10 driver doesn't give you the options you had before you changed operating systems, then get the driver you were using with your previous operating system, and install it using compatibility mode. You can see links to all of the available drivers for the Inspiron 7520 here.

Jim Coates -- 14 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos