Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

April 21st, 2014 20:00

Inspiron 15R keyboard

Hello,

Few keys on my laptop - Inspiron 5520, are not working. I have got new motherboard and keyboard, both are the compatible parts with this model. I am out of warranty.

Please suggest the probable cause.

Regards,

Sanjay

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

April 21st, 2014 20:00

Hi Sanjay,

I would suggest you to connect an external USB keyboard to the system to check if the issue reoccurs. If the external USB keyboard works fine it should be an issue with the keyboard. If you face the same issue of some keys not working on the external USB keyboard also it should be operating system issue.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 27th, 2014 10:00

The key sequence for VIsta and later is F8 before Windows begins loading - choose Repair, the Restore.

If you need a copy of Windows because you did not make a set of recovery discs, you will need to contact Dell for that.  In the US, see the link below.  Outside the US, you will need to call Dell.  There is a charge for the recovery media if the system is out of warranty.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/476.2-0-requesting-a-microsoft-windows-reinstallation-cddvd-from-dell.aspx

6 Posts

April 27th, 2014 10:00

Hi Ravi,

How do I reinstall OS?

I have Windows 7. I am aware of installation procedure for any windows system. I only need to know from where will I get a copy of my windows 7.

Also let me know if it will help me if I can reset the system to factory setting? And the procedure to do this. I tried using Carl + F11 but nothing is coming up.

Regards

Sanjay

6 Posts

May 18th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

Sorry for delayed updates but it took some time to get me a system disc  from dell.

I installed the windows 7 but keyboard issue is still there.

i can work with my external wireless keyboard but laptop keyboard keys still does not work. A set of keys that does work are letter N, B, space bar, down arrow, left and right arrow keys.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Sanjay

No Events found!