Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 18:00

Inspiron 15r SE 7520 - Display Driver Crashes

Hello,

I recently received my new Inspiron 15r SE and am getting Blue Screen Of Death crashes that are seemingly related to the dedicated graphics card. The specific message on the BSOD is "An attempt to reset the display driver and recover failed." Windows then restarts. This laptop has switchable graphics (Intel integration GPU and AMD 7730m). I'm running the laptop plugged in, on a 'high performance' battery plan.

I get this behaviour when using applications requiring heavier graphics processing, like playing Starcraft 2. It happens consistently. Playing youtube videos at 720p seems okay. I've only installed Starcraft 2 and Chrome so far.

What should I do or try? Let me know if I've omitted any details of interest.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

22 Posts

November 7th, 2012 10:00

@ All those who are having bsod and driver crash issue I suggest you to contact DELL-Terry B, he is the only one in dell video support who will actually try to solve your issue.

That said, i have been having the bsod (related to atikmpag.exe and error code 116) and driver crash issue with all bios versions except A02 with which there were no bsods however driver was still crashing to desktop, for this reason like all of you i thought that this problem was software related, it turned out that it was hardware related problem, i got my motherboard changed and now the problem is solved. my new motherboard came with bios A06 preintsalled and now i am running it with bios A07 and dell w7 video driver. and i can now play most games without any issues, there is however issue related to switchable graphics i.e applications not compatible with it and some games wont run in dx11 mode or wont detect the amd hardware for that one needs to do special tricks, but all in all my hardware is now working fine (SPECIAL THANKS TO TERRY FOR POINTING ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION INSTEAD OF WASTING TIME LIKE OTHER SUPPORT STAFF).

I am attaching screens from both old and new MB setup:

Old motherboard model # DELL OPXH02

New motherboard model # DELL 04P57C

So if you are suffering from this issue and your system is under warranty, get you mb replaced ASAP.

6 Posts

November 7th, 2012 11:00

If I have ever seen this (and plenty of other) thread before I bought this laptop.... should have stayed with HP and Nvidia...

How is it possible that other AMD switchable GPUs work fairly well?

4 Posts

November 8th, 2012 09:00

i changed  motherboard and now  my laptop is perfect!

New motherboard model 04P57C with bios A05

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 9th, 2012 01:00

This worked for me:

BIOS - Inspiron_7520_A07_BIOS.exe (10/23/2012):

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-se-7520

DRIVER - Video_AMD_W7_A01_Setup-N8PHN_ZPE.exe (7/12/2012):

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-15r-se-7520

0 bluescreen

6 Posts

November 16th, 2012 13:00

well Mariusz this dont work for me, i tryed to play  darksiders 2 with the bios a07 and i get bsod, and now i cant downgrade my bios to A04 or A02 cuse a error  called 0x25 appear...  ='( i cant play my darksiders 2 .

4 Posts

November 24th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

Im currently having similar problems to this, I have updated all my drivers that required it including the BIOS to A07.

Ive rolled back, reinstalled, uninstalled near enough everything.  tTill keep getting the bluescreen with reference to ATIkmpag.exe.

Im still within my 90 day premium phone call service so i get the ever unhelpful customer service rep that wont listen to what im saying and insists on hooking into my computer, crashing it and then asking me the same questions.

Is there a shortcut route to get the above motherboard replacement??  I tried mentioning this but its like the dell rep on the phone is reading off a card and very slowly and its kind of annoying.

It is all related to the ATI card from what i can see.  I can play world of warcraft in power saving mode but not in high performance.  Eve online wont play in either mode as it seems to require the 3d card anyway.

Its not a massive issue as I only use my laptop for gaming when away from my desktop but I am fairly dissappointed in DELL and their seemingly huge lack of support for this issue.  Been checking for any sort of driver/bios updates in the hope that its a simple problem but it seems that the above is the better solution, so why doesn't customer support just allow this option from the start and save hours of time with linking and crashing my laptop?

Thanks for any advice.

22 Posts

November 25th, 2012 02:00

Hi  Nitromills

Please PM  "DELL-Terry B", I am sure he will help in resolving your issue.

4 Posts

November 25th, 2012 03:00

many Thanks

2 Posts

December 1st, 2012 04:00

Hi there

I have just received a dell Inspiron 15r SE 7520 and i too am getting the blue screen when i try and do video editing . I see from thsi post that this issue has been known about for many months so fine it unbeliveable it still isnt fixed. Can anyone tell me what i need to do to fix it ?

douglas

December 1st, 2012 07:00

One solution that worked in my case is uninstalling McAfee antivirus and installing the updates for bios and the videocard.Instructions on how to unistall McAfee here>service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx 

Try uninstalling McAfee first.And when you do that use the utility software from McAfee.If it doesn't work leave it uninstalled and update the bios and videocard drivers. If it works as an antivirus you could use windows' antivirus.

4 Posts

December 1st, 2012 08:00

Hi, thanks for response, can you confirm that we're also getting the BSOD with regards to the atikmp.sys file or something like that? Cheers

2 Posts

December 1st, 2012 11:00

I've done the following

BIOS - Inspiron_7520_A07_BIOS.exe (10/23/2012):

DRIVER - Video_AMD_W7_A01_Setup-N8PHN_ZPE.exe (7/12/2012):

an no bluescreen

BUT now sometimes i get a BLANK dark screen , eg let the screen switch off and it comes back blank when i hit a key

Any ideas ?

December 1st, 2012 14:00

Yes.I've stopped getting that bsod after removing McAfee using the removal utility tool from their website.You can find the link in that faq link I posted in the reply above.

15 Posts

December 6th, 2012 21:00

I have the motherboard model # DELL OPXH02 also but never had BSOD so not sure your assumption is correct. I did do the clean install of the OS and got rid of crap McAfee as soon as I got the 15R SE 2 months ago.  Maybe that has anything to do with it?

I do have some issues with CCC where it does not remember what applications to run with high performance and I have to manually keep selecting it every time I boot up.

March 31st, 2013 16:00

the driver support for this machine is terrible. the video card drivers dont work properly. ive uninstalled and installed everything going including the bios. still no luck. the only solotion seems to be using leshcat thyird party drivers that are unsigned and invole an extreme amount of messing about.

Dell advising to install 32 bit windows 7 drivers on a windows 8 64 bit machine, incompatiblke drivers you couldn't make it up.

absolute joke.

No Events found!