Highlighted
jawra7005
Copper

Inspiron 15z 5523 Notebook - 3 beeps, black screen

Jump to solution

Hey guys

Trying to fix an issue with the mrs' Dell notebook; which is an Inspiron 15z 5523.

1st thing - it's out of warranty, so need to try a self-fix if possible, if not, I'm sensing it may be time for a new laptop for her so any tips on data recovery will be appreciated down the line.

Also worth mentioning that this has come about a couple of days after installing Windows 10 - unsure if that's related, but worth a mention.

The issue is that no matter what, we're faced with a blank black screen, with no backlights or LED anywhere. It's now started beeping 3 times in succession which as far as I can tell from the troubleshooting (here) is a system board failure.

For now though, I've done the following:

• Allowed the battery to drain and try running on AC power
  • Reset the motherboard (using the paperclip/reset button method)
  • Troubleshooted using the above link
  • Confirmed that it is out of warranty

The main priorities are trying to get this working again and if not, getting the data from the laptop to allow us to get it onto a new one if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

108 Replies
AKP718
Copper

RE: Inspiron 15z 5523 Notebook - 3 beeps, black screen

Jump to solution

I am encountering the exact same situation.   Installed Windows 10 about 2 weeks ago.  Computer won't start up as of this morning.  I get the 3 beeps and that's it.  Screen won't turn on.

Randi_Fiete
Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Installed windows 10 yesterday. This morning the laptop does not turn on. Black screen 3 beeps.

0 Kudos
erohen
Nickel

Jump to solution

has anyone found a fix for this.  Im having the same issue.   I replaced the motherboard, after that it booted up once.  then it booted a few times to a black screen with just the mouse pointer showing.   now it is back to, no boot, no screen, and 3 beeps.    

0 Kudos
MICHI2XLC
Copper

Jump to solution

I think i had the Same issue. Installed  win10 and after some days boot  up took longer and longer. At the last reboot my keyboard started flashing. Finally black screen, 3 beeps. No matter what I did. Tried fn+power, paperclip reset, replaced harddrive, memory. And in the end REMOVED CMOS BATTERY for 10sec, put it in again. After that I was able to run fn+power preboot test, it said everything works fine. I did not try to boot win 10 afterwards. Immediately inserted my paragon recovery cd and restoring my backed up win8 system again. Don't know if it works afterwards. Restore is still running..... but at least my laptop is doing something again.

0 Kudos
Mams59
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm facing exactly the same situation too.
I've installed Windows 10 a few weeks ago, and now black screen and 3 beeps...
Inspiron 15z 5523 as well.

I remember that was quite the same at the beginning of Windows 8.1.
The Power-On Self-Test (POST) is just real<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>

I just can't stand my only 2-years old computer died before of a Windows update, and it is just unbelievable that Dell is not giving us more support on this kind of serious issue, knowing the causes.

Really bad publicity for Dell, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
erohen
Nickel

Jump to solution

I agree about the POST being terrible.  I have worked with computers for over 20 years and i have never seen how something in the operating system can effect the POST of a computer.    I went by the POST beeps and from that information I bought a new motherboard and now I still have the same issue.  now I am thinking that my original motherboard is still good.

0 Kudos
Randi_Fiete
Copper

Jump to solution

Just had a Dell Technician change the motherboard, it still did not fix the issue. Still got a blue error screen. Dell asked me to send the laptop to them for further diagnostic. I will keep you posted. It all started with installing the windows 10 update. 

0 Kudos
Mams59
Copper

Jump to solution

Indeed, it seems useless to change the motherboard.
I'd rather test the solution given in a previous post : removed CMOS battery. 

Quite radical, but if there is no other way...

0 Kudos
erohen
Nickel

Jump to solution

I removed the CMOS battery, it no longer beeps, but it does not POST either.  just stays powered on for about 30 sec, then turns off.

0 Kudos