Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 18:00

Inspiron 17 3721 won't turn on and beeps

My Inspiron 17 3721 won't turn on and beeps and pauses for a second and beeps again. It is just a black screen and to make it stop beeping I have to hold my power button down for 5 seconds. It is a windows 8. Please help! thanks.

July 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi atomicgamer,

The beep codes on the computer generally indicate a possible hardware failure or it can also be due to the residual power stored in the computer. So first lets get rid of the residual power by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Unplug the Battery
  2. Make sure the charger is not connected to the laptop
  3. Press and hold the Power button down for 40 to 50 seconds
  4. Plug the battery and the Dell AC Adapter / Charger back in.

Now power on the computer and check if it boots normally into windows. If you still face the same issue then it’s a possible hardware failure. Do let me know the pattern of the beep codes. For example if there is one beep code then the beep code should be in the following loop

(One Beep – One Beep – One Beep) then a 3 second pause and then again (One Beep – One Beep – One Beep)

If its two then it should be:

(Two Beeps – Two Beeps – Two Beeps) then a 3 second pause and then again (Two Beeps – Two Beeps – Two Beeps) and so on.

Please reply after going through these steps and then we will take it from there on.

July 26th, 2013 19:00

that didn't work. The beeps go: beep, 2 second pause, beep, 2 sec pause and repeats that. there is no long pause.

July 29th, 2013 11:00

Hi atomicgamer,

Thank you for your reply. We can certainly help you with this issue that you are facing.

Seems to me it is a hardware issue with the computer and if the computer is still under warranty period we can get it serviced for you.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message. Do not post any of the computer’s information on the thread; instead send it to me as private message under inbox.

1 Message

February 10th, 2014 02:00

hi, i have the same exact problem. what can i do? thanks

1 Message

February 15th, 2014 21:00

Hello I am having the same problem it was working fine when I shut it off then when I went to turn it on it just beeped four times then a pause then beeped four times again. I have taken the battery out and held the power button down for 60 sec and it has not done any thing any help would be muchly accepted. the warranty expired 3-4 months ago. 

1 Message

January 23rd, 2015 13:00

Hello. I have the same problem. My Warranty expired 1 Month ago. That is not quality Dell. I Hope you will write to me to talk about this.

Karamaru

1 Message

February 19th, 2015 09:00

Same problem.  One beep followed by 2 second pause then one beep followed by 2 second pause, etc.  Mine also started its failure 1 month after the warranty expire.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2015 10:00

Single beep is a ROM failure - the mainboard needs to be replaced.

February 19th, 2015 16:00

Have been very disappointed with Dell. I had my Motherboard changed 4 times in less than 6 months. Same problems still exists, will never buy a Dell again, the product is not quality.

1 Message

March 31st, 2015 14:00

I have the same problem on one of my laptops as well.  It had 5 beeps and I performed the steps above and now it will not make any attempt at booting or beeping.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2015 16:00

I've had the exact same problem what should I do ?

1 Message

August 18th, 2015 18:00

my computer has similar issues.. but does the

"(One Beep – One Beep – One Beep) then a 3 second pause and then again (One Beep – One Beep – One Beep)"

what do I do from here?

3 Posts

December 8th, 2015 12:00

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my one year old laptop.  I have hardly any files on it as it is mainly used for playing movies and using the internet.

I have a beep when I press the power button and have tried your recommendation above.  After many attemps, I was able to get the system on and ran a diagnostic which said there were not problems found with my hardware.  Once the system rebooted, I found myself back to the same problem..beep and black screen.  My warrantee ended early this year and then boom by laptop breaks down.  Can you advise me on what I should do.  I would hate for this to become a paperweight after just one year of minimal use.

Thanks.

No Events found!