Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2015 06:00

Inspiron 17 7737 Black screen on boot

So my laptop will get past the dell splash screen and then just hang on a blank screen. The third reset will bring up the troubleshooting screen, and the only way I can get the laptop to boot is by performing a system restore or complete reformat. However any time I turn the laptop off the problem will reoccur.

I ran diagnostics with Fn boot and it came back that everything was in working order, although the diagnostics process froze twice needing me to abort and redo it, completing in the third time if  that might have any significance.

Thanks in advance for the help!

September 23rd, 2015 06:00

Hi, 

Was there a freeze during windows installation??

If possible can you try this HD on a different machine. 

You can try booting up the machine with one memory at a time for observing the cause.

Regards

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 07:00

Funny you mention that because I tried resetting my laptop and its just frozen while reinstalling Windows. 

I'm a bit hesitant to open up the laptop since it might void my insurance, so I'd rather exhaust all my options before that.

Thanks for the quick reply!

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 09:00

Update: since my laptop crashed trying to reset while preserving files. I did a complete reformat deleting all the files. It's completed fine however I've done this before and I'm afraid that once I turn the laptop off the original problem will reoccur.

I fear that this may be a hardware problem, is there anything more I can do?

4 Posts

September 24th, 2015 03:00

Update 2: So I was sleeping with my laptop nearby in sleep mode and during the night I wake to see that it has powered itself on and is showing the same black screen as before the reformat. Turning it off and on doesn't fix it, and I will need to reformat it again to get it working mostl likely.

If anyone is still reading and has any advice pls help!

September 24th, 2015 13:00

Hi,
Openings the system and troubleshooting will not void the system warranty.
Definitely its a hardware issue, but whether its HD, memory is difficult to judge unless we do the troubleshooting.
As the machine is now off anyways, if possible can you try this HD on a different machine if available.
If not, boot up the machine with 1 memory at a time.
As you mentioned diagnostics froze initially, any clue during which component test did it freeze??

Regards

October 1st, 2015 23:00

We are awaiting your response.

No Events found!