Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2013 10:00

Inspiron 17 7737 User Manuals

Does anyone have advice on how to download an actual user's guide for the "New" Inspiron 17 7737 User Manual/User Guide?  I just got off the phone with technical support and while they were good, they don't seem to understand what a User's Manual really is.  The existing download for the Dell User's Manual for the 17 7000 is actually a service manual.  That is, it tells you how to repair and replace parts to the laptop.  I'm looking for a user's manual that tells you, if you want to increase volume press the Fn key and the F3 key simultaneously.

All of this stems from trying to find out where "Num Lock" is shown as being on or off.  Technical support informed me that Num Lock is automatically on when the computer starts.  However, since there is no light, I can't really tell. Also, technical support told me that there will be a symbol, or some indication that will appear on the screen for a second or so.  Where will it appear?  I have no idea, and pressing the Num Lock key does not reveal any indication on my screen that I can see.

By the way, I have downloaded the Quick Start guide which shows the key and component locations.  That's not what I'm looking for.  Anyone have any suggestions?

6 Posts

August 30th, 2014 07:00

Have the same problem with my 7737 plus I can not find the BIOS A01 users guide. Same to DELL

Years ago I bought the Inspiron 6400 from DELL and right on my HD I had all the manuals I need and more and I thought it would have been the same with the 7737

Very disappointed

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 30th, 2014 09:00

6 Posts

August 30th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the reply

Sorry, what I have is A09

I need the users manual for the A09 because there some entries which I dont know what they mean

6 Posts

August 31st, 2014 01:00

On A09 Bios what is the difference between Admin and HDD passwords? Wouldn’t the HDD password be the best?

Also under the password field there is “Password Change” with the options Permitted or Denied. What is the difference between the two?

And further down is “Computrace” and the options are Disable, Deactivate or Activate. What is Computrace?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 31st, 2014 04:00

Admin password locks the UEFI setup from being changed but doesn't require a power-up password.  The hard drive password locks the hard drive from being used without the password.  If you opt for it, write it down and keep it in a secure place - if it is lost there is no way to remove it from the hard drive without sending the drive out to a recovery service.

The power on password locks the system from being used without the password.

ComputTrace is a security system that allows the system to be traced if stolen.  It requires paid subscription to CompuTrace (like LoJack does for automobiles).

The password change option allows a primary or hard drive password to be changed if the admin password is also set (for example, an administrator can lock the system against a user setting these passwords - or changing them - if the admin password is set).

You can set the primary/system/power on password and hard drive password independently.  An admin password cannot be set if either of the other two are already present - they must be removed first.

6 Posts

August 31st, 2014 06:00

Thanks for your time, very interesting

3 Posts

September 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi there:

Did you ever get a response or figure out how to see if the numlock key is on for the 7737 laptop? I am going nuts with this and I am also annoyed that I cannot find a manual that gives me info other than how to repair or replace stuff.

Thanks! <ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

6 Posts

September 18th, 2014 20:00

Never got a response but in any case had to return my Inspiron due to touchpad probelms; got another one higher model and had the same issue. So I returned that one too and now I have an Asus. Huge quality difference between the two and Asus is the winner + beautiful operating manual right on the Taskbar

3 Posts

September 19th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for getting back to me. It is amazing that we have to change to a different company to get better service. I mean, all I am asking for is a manual for this laptop. Dell is getting chintzy.

thanks again

285 Posts

September 19th, 2014 09:00

Hi,

Here the link for owner manual.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-17-7737_Owner's%20Manual_en-us.pdf

3 Posts

September 19th, 2014 10:00

Hi:

I realize you are trying to help me, however, this is not a manual on how to use this laptop. This is a manual telling me how to repair and replace stuff. It does not tell me how to use this laptop and keyboard.

For example, if I could not figure out how to turn on the backlights there is no information about that.

I want to be able to see how I can tell if the NumLock key is ON or OFF. I cannot find any indicator for that.

There is no explanation of the keys at the top of the keyboard. What a pain this is.

Thanks, I sincerely appreciate you answering my question. I had downloaded the manual a long time ago, when I first got the laptop, but unless I want to replace something, this manual is not helpful.

I have seen many others with the same comments so I am VERY disappointed that Dell has not remedied this problem.

Thanks again for your response!

20 Posts

May 7th, 2016 16:00

where is the Deactivate Computrace Beside ı am new Dell 7559 user.

5 Posts

August 27th, 2016 23:00

Are there instructions for using the keyboard of a Inspiron 17 7737?  Including the number pad on the right hand side of the letter keys.

thanks

No Events found!