Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

January 5th, 2009 21:00

Inspiron 1720 Battery LED Light Flashing

My Inpiron 1720 laptop battery light has started flashing.  It flashes orange four times and then flashes blue.  What does that mean?  Does that mean something is wrong with my battery?  If I unplug the AC adaptor, the light still blinks.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 00:00

okay...so i did some more searching from what other people were saying and reading some manuals, service guides, etc.   what i found out was that it seems a bad battery is the problem, you just need to replace it from what i understand. i have not done this and probably wont because its not worth it for me. i am not sure this is a fix but i would be willing to bet on it. i know that if you dont take care of your battery you will shorten its lifespan and my battery last for about 10 minutes right now, its a 9 cell battery too, so that is horrible.

anyway, a battery can go bad from too much use or too little from what i found out and my laptop is almost always plugged in and never uses the battery to keep it fresh so the battery just slowly dies. hope this helps you!  gimme a reply if you need anything else, but this should sum it up.

52 Posts

January 5th, 2009 22:00

Hi,

If your battery LED is blinking orange so to make sure about your battery-There are six LED on battery and a button, u need to press that button if your battery LED Blinks as===> first-glow

second -not  blinking

third -   blinking

fourth - not  blinking

fifth-  blinking

sixth- not blinking

then u should change your battery(if u r in warrenty the logged with dell)

January 26th, 2009 21:00

So I did finally press that button, and all six lights stay lit together for a few seconds.  What does that mean?

2 Posts

April 16th, 2009 21:00

bump this happened to me as well...check the lights on the battery all lit up fine......not sure what the problem is, i did shutdown the computer and remove the battery for the night to see if it was a overheating issue but the next morning it still is saying i have that temporary battery failure

1 Message

May 12th, 2009 18:00

Hello,

I have been experiencing the same problem for a couple of days now.

The battery LED of my Inspiron 1720 flashes orange four times and then flashes blue, once and again.

According to the manual, this indicates an overheating of the battery, but it is curious that this happened for the first time having being the computer shut down and unplugged for 48 hours, so there is no possible overheating.

Also, having being shut off and unplugged from one day to another after having experienced the issue for the first time, it continues happening.

My actual BIOS version is A09, if it is of help, as I upgraded it about two months ago by recommendation from the tech support. As a result of this upgrade, the laptop sometimes beeps when shut down.

All seems to work properly, the laptop works unplugged, on battery only, thus I did not have time to check exactly how much time it lasts but for the time I have checked all seems perfectly normal.

LED continues blinking when unplugged.

The built-in leds on the battery seem to do little with this, as I understand that they only give information about the charge level. In my case, all of them lit green for some seconds, as usual when fully charged.

3 Posts

September 28th, 2009 03:00

I have exactly the same issue with my 1720. It's 21 months old and gets used heavily. The 9 cell battery in it lasts about 1-2 hours now. (It used to last 5 hours). The battery does not feel particularly warm. It makes no difference whether the mains power lead is plugged in or not. The battery LED still flashes the same. The BIOS is the original version.

Just to make it clear I'm talking about the battery light above the Wi-Fi indicator light at the right of my keyboard. When I press the button on the battery itself then the first of the five lights comes on steadily for a few seconds. All the rest stay off.

1 Message

October 22nd, 2009 22:00

I have the same problem.  Yours was the most recent post.  Have you found a solution for this problem?

No Events found!