Shadark
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1720 - No External Mic since moved to Windows 7

When I try to install (with or without Compatibility mode) setup.exe says:

This is not the correct audio driver for this system. The installer will now exit.

So I can't install the drivers you linked. Do you know how to "force" the drivers to install?

Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
JamesTheExpert
1 Copper

That sounds like the error I got before I set it to Vista compatibility.

You need to change the properties for Setup.exe that extracts into the dell\drivers\ folder.  If you just change the R171786.exe file properties, it will still crash.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

JamesTheExpert,

This is essentially the same thing I was asking about earlier in this thread when I wrote

"When installing the Sigmatel driver, did you install the Vista version into 7 using Vista compatibility mode?"

but Shadark and nickwaker said that it did not work for them.

The link you provided yesterday was to the XP version of the driver (R171789) which probably explains why Shadark got that error. Here is the driver you meant:

the Vista version (171786) .

Edit: just re-read your last post and it looks like you did mean to install the XP driver instead of the Vista one. My bad.

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos
JamesTheExpert
1 Copper

Jim,

I'm thinking maybe they ran the extractor .exe in compatibility mode, but not setup.exe.

That's my guess.

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

When they said it didn't work I took it to mean that it did not fix their mic jack problem, not that the driver installation failed. I hope Shadark and/or  nickwaker will clarify that point.

Sorry about my post this morning ... got my wires crossed.

0 Kudos
Tiggerrr
1 Copper

I have the same issue with an Inspiron 1420 that uses the same SigmaTel driver.  I went to get the latest version of the driver but it appears the R171786.exe file is no longer on the FTP site.  Can someone tell me an alternate location (or send me the file independently)?

I tried following the instructions using the Vista(SP1) compatibility mode with my previous driver (R167846.exe) file's extracted Setup.exe, but that seems to have no effect.  I still have no external microphone.

Thanks,

Terry

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Terry,

The site with the R171786 is down as of Friday. The Dell liaisons are supposed to let us know when it is back up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tiggerrr
1 Copper

I had the same issue on my Inspiron 1420.  I still do not have  the built-in jack working, but I found a really simple solution - I purchased a $4.57 USB headset adapter from Overstock.com.  I plugged it in and it just worked!  I can make Skype calls again :emotion-2:.

Link to the Adapter: http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/USB-to-Headset-Microphone-PC-Sound-Card-Adapter/2507197/product...

Hope this helps!

Terry

isendel
1 Copper

I have heard that the sound quality is extremely bad with that adapter :S    I also have the same problem and have spent more than a day trying to solve this issue. I've read like 1000 posts. I have a 1720 inspiron with Windows 7 installed.  Driver version for Sigma Tel High Definition Audio is:  6.10.0.5614. I cannot seem to succesfully make the external Mic work. It does recognice it when I plug it in through the 3.5 jack but the volume level will just not do anything when I speak. And It looks like this has been going on for some time 😞

0 Kudos
brainbox
1 Copper

Hi JamesThe Expert

Thanks for your help. It works. I just did it. **** Your a star!!!

0 Kudos