Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2013 18:00

Inspiron 1720, Windows 7 Ultimate (upgraded from Vista Home) Integrated Web Cam question

Everything is working fine with Windows 7 except for the web cam which works on occasion, Win.7 downloaded and installed laptop integrated web cam drivers (ver. 1.4.1.1011).  I'm using Dell Web Cam Center Ver. 2.00.13  I have read many posts from various forums and seem to get mixed answers and suggestions.  The webcam has worked from time to time.  The drivers do not load at every boot-up (about 30% or less) and of course with that the Imaging Device is not present in the Device Manager.  Hoping  this forum can give me the information to make a decision to give up and just uninstall the camera or try a fool proof method or work around.  I have tried running the Web Cam Center in various compatibility modes but the results are as described above.  What really puzzles me is that the drives do not load with each boot-up?????

All answers will be appreciated,

Le

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 13th, 2013 05:00

You upgraded from an earlier version of Windows...

For best results ensure that you Clean Install Windows 7 see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7 (noting that this is a Media Direct System - Step 7a) and use the drivers here (installed in the order listed): http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4508.inspiron-laptops-windows-7-unofficial-drivers.aspx

2.4K Posts

July 13th, 2013 10:00

fyi,

I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. The Windows install picked up all the driver except for the Sigmatel (audio) driver. I've used the webcam often with Skype and has never given me problems. I didn't and haven't installed any other Dell apps or have needed to. Been a year now.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 13th, 2013 13:00

Okay but loading the Dell System Software and then the Chipset Drivers and the rest of the drivers in the correct install order often prevents such issues with the camera.

2.4K Posts

July 13th, 2013 19:00

I'm sure that's the best way; didn't mean to say otherwise. There's an Intel chipset (driver) for the 1720 but I thought it was only 32-bit. I see now it's a dual package and though it's listed as Optional I will try to install it. Probably won't need to use Compatibility Mode, correct ?

2.4K Posts

July 13th, 2013 20:00

Followup if you don't mind:

The Ricoh media card reader driver is listed under "Chipset". Don't understand why that would need to be installed before the others for optimal performance . Do you ?

Would you think it should be uninstalled priot to the main Intel CS (and re-installed right after) ?? I'm not going to uninstall everything, just want to get these chipsets in and see...

btw, is there no edit feature anymore ?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 13th, 2013 23:00

Use the Drivers I listed here Inspiron 1720 - Windows 7 64 Bit as they are later versions and Windows 7 compatible.

Most importantly is the Dell System Software should be installed first (and I have listed a Windows 7 64 Bit version) and then the Intel Chipset. Without these 2 some devices and services might not initialise correctly such as the webcam. The card reader is also a chipset driver so its installed next. i.e. all the Chipset Drivers are installed. Then the SATA, Video, Modem, Input and Audio (note if the Audio works fine you might not want to install an additional driver). Then the Wireless, Quickset, Webcam Central and then the Bluetooth. As mentioned this is a Media Direct System so you might want the Media Direct Update assuming you have the partitions setup correctly and media direct installed.

There should be a green pencil at the bottom of your post, which you can use to edit your post.

2.4K Posts

July 14th, 2013 10:00

Really well done. Interesting to see, under Vista(shipped OS), no System Software was required but it is on 7.

I'm surmising that the benefit of the ordering of these drivers (esp. chipset) would mostly be undone when coupled with an archaic BIOS ?? (I've been using the shipped A_02 (that they pulled years ago.) ). I updated my BIOS on this desktop (Dimension 4100) but it was with a floppy and felt it a low-risk proposition. I've seen so many horror stories on this board so I'm slow to jump-I know, understatement.

Much appreciate all the contributions you and others have made to 'The Community'.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 14th, 2013 15:00

Really well done. Interesting to see, under Vista(shipped OS), no System Software was required but it is on 7.

There was Dell System Software for Windows Vista 32 Bit here and Dell didn't officially provide a set of 64 bit drivers for this model. See this TechCentre wiki for more information about the Dell System Software Installing Dell System Software. Ideally the Service Packs should be installed (i.e,. Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Standalone update should be installed if not included on your installation DVD), then the Dell System Software and then the Chipset. These ones are critical for the correct underlying functionality of the other devices (which drivers should be installed next).

The correct install order isn't as critical for Windows Vista/7/8 as it was for XP which had multiple audio problems if the drivers weren't installed in the correct order. However we do see webcam issues cropping up time to time like yours if the Dell System Software and Chipset aren't installed first. Other times its a loose cable so keep an eye on it to see if its working.

2.4K Posts

July 15th, 2013 10:00

My mistake. Good read on DSS.

I hope to set up a dualboot of Vista32 and 7Ultimate64 c/w XP Mode. I'll probably need clarification on some install points. Also the best time and preparation to update BIOS, for that scenario. Hope you'll still be active on board at that time. Thanks.

6 Posts

July 21st, 2013 13:00

Been reading a lot regarding other users having a similar problem.  Following the basics: I have done a clean install of Win 7, Media Center and then installed the updates in the prescribed order.  Things went great except for the the same old integrated Web Cam that works sometimes.  I have noted in the device manager that when viewing the hidden devices that the camera and the USB Compost are both present but both indicate that the device in not plugged in.  Can not seem to find a work around or fix for this problem.  I have even opened the monitor case to check that the camera plug was securely plugged into the camera.  All appears well except that the install driver only finds the camera on rare occasions   When it works the picture is very good.  I will wait for any more suggestions before deciding to purchase a webcam foo use with the laptop or revert to Vista OS.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

807 Posts

July 21st, 2013 13:00

Is Skype a factor in this? It's known that the latest version of Skype breaks functionality of Dell Webcam. Uninstall Skype and delete all traces of it inc startup items. Install earlier version here

www.oldapps.com/skype.php

I've heard this version seems to work

www.oldapps.com/skype.php

6 Posts

July 21st, 2013 14:00

Thanks for reply. No, skype is not an issue.  I do not have any conferencing type programs installed on the computer.

Still hoping to find an answer some where.

Le

6 Posts

July 21st, 2013 15:00

I could use some directions.  After I installed Windows Media Center I did a clean install of Windows 7, 32 bit.  I then allowed the computer to download all the various 100 plus updates including Service Pack 1.  I then downloaded and installed the files in the order outlined on the list for Inspiron 1720 - Windows 7 32 Bit (old).  Unfortunately I'm still having problems with the integrated webcam.  It works fine on very few occasions but mostly it indicates that the device is not connected.  Question:  Should I have loaded all the Window 7, 32 Bit (old) files before installing any of updates provided by Microsoft?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Le

807 Posts

July 21st, 2013 15:00

As a guide whenever I do a clean install of OS, I always install Dell drivers first (in correct order) and then install Windows updates (not hardware updates, just the normal security updates etc). I don't know what impact this would have on the functionality of Dell Webcam.

No Events found!