Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2013 01:00

Inspiron 1720 power problem

Hi. I'm having a problem with my Dell Inspiron 1720. When it is plug in (with original adapter) touchpad mouse is constantly freezing, plug in mouse is not working, and i hear a buzz in my speakers. When it works on batery everything is ok. Is the problem adapter or something else?

3.3K Posts

February 7th, 2013 01:00

Hi Mihc87,

This could be an issue with the Wall Jack. Connect the adapter to a different wall jack.

Also, kindly let me know, does the computer have 2 pin adapter or 3 pin adapter?

For Audio speaker’s issue, connect external speakers and check if you get to hear the buzzing noise.

I recommend to update the Audio drivers on the computer.

I have provided a link for drivers download:

1. Visit the following website: www.support.dell.com
  2. Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
  3. In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
  4. Under category AUDIO, click “Download File” and save the file on desktop.
  5. Double click the file and follow the onscreen instructions.

If the issue still persists, run the diagnostics on the computer.

Run diagnostics on the computer. Restart the computer by holding the FN and Power button to run the diagnostics.

Awaiting your response!

2 Posts

February 13th, 2013 03:00

At first, thanks for your response....

My first thing was testing the wall jack and it's ok. 

I don't understand the next question? My adapter has one pin in the middle and around 7 mm x 5 mm connector?

I update all drivers manually and it didn't help.

So i bought an universal adapter Trust black 90 W. (http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16426)

All the problems were solved, but i get another one.

Laptop don't recognize the new adapter? So it runs very slow and battery is not charging. Also the battery light is blinking 4 times red and ones blue?

Is the reason battery or not original adapter?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 13th, 2013 04:00

Universal adapters will power the system but usually will not charge the battery.  While you clearly have a battery that's failing, you will also need to replace the adapter with a Dell unit -- not a third party one -- if you want to charge the battery once you replace that as well.

No Events found!