Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 11th, 2012 07:00

Inspiron 1720

I've had an audio issue with my laptop for some months, in that there is no audio device installed. At the time of losing audio I hadn't installed anything driver wise or update wise. It just copped out. So far I've tried a system restore but that did nothing. I also downloaded the driver from the dell website in the list of drivers that came up for my laptop, although upon installing it just tells me it's the incorrect driver and the installer will exit. Also when I go into the device manager there is no "Sound, Game controller etc" drop down menu. Any ideas? Because it's really starting to grind my gears.

Humm, had a try with the BIOS (as I'd already done the above driver download) and no change. Cheers anyway Chinmay

1.8K Posts

Hi,

You can install the correct audio driver for your computer from the link: http://dell.to/W6jMYF

Steps to download drivers:-

• Click 'Download file' to download the list to a folder you will designate.
  • Click 'Save'. Then designate the folder you would like to save the files to.
  • Once you have designated the folder you would like to save your files to, Click 'OK'.
  • Selected downloads will automatically start downloading. Next is Installation.
  • To start installation, Click Open folder. Right-click a downloaded file and select the option to ‘Run as administrator’.
  • A small window will appear with 'Continue' and 'Exit' buttons, click 'Continue'.
  • In the Select the folder where you want to unzip the files to window, click OK.
  • If a message appears asking to create a folder, click 'Yes'. If a message appears asking to overwrite the folder, click 'Yes to All'.
  • In the All files were successfully unzipped window, click OK.
  • A new window will appear, follow the prompts that appear to finish the installation.
  • Restart your computer.

In case the issue is not resolved, you can update the BIOS of your computer

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-

• Battery should have 10% or greater charge
  • Adapter should be connected
  • No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved

Link to update BIOS:  http://dell.to/RzfkxG

You can follow the same prompts as above to download and install BIOS.

Please reply with the findings.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

At the time of losing audio I hadn't installed anything driver wise or update wise. It just copped out.

See the "No Audio" FAQ for steps to diagnose the symptom.

I also downloaded the driver from the dell website in the list of drivers that came up for my laptop, although upon installing it just tells me it's the incorrect driver and the installer will exit.

It is possible that there has been some corruption. Install these drivers in this order:

a. Dell Notebook System Software (on your downloads page expand the System Utilities category). Download, install and restart.

b. Intel Mobile Chipset software (expand the Chipset category). Download, install and restart.

c. Install the audio driver (expand the Audio category).

If you have XP then use the Sigmatel R171789 driver that Chinmay S linked to. If you have Vista then use the Sigmatel R171786 driver instead.

As far as the suggestion to update the BIOS, I would save that as a last resort because a failed BIOS update attempt can brick the motherboard and usually updating BIOS does not fix audio problems. After all your audio was previously working with the same BIOS you have now I assume. But you never know with computers, it might help in some rare cases.

October 11th, 2012 10:00

Jim, been working through your suggestion, and all goes well until it updates the hardware whilst preparing to install the R171786 driver, where it gives me the error message "ExitError:Error=Driver Object not present, please restart and run the setup again", which I did but same message. So, seems to me it's a hardware issue rather than software. Any ideas?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 11th, 2012 16:00

I meant to say run the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. If it fails then the issue is with the hardware.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 11th, 2012 16:00

So, seems to me it's a hardware issue rather than software.

Sorry for slow responsw -- just got back home, To determine whether or not it is a hardware problem, run the Dell Diagnostics as mentioned in the "No Audio" FAQ.

So you are running Vista?

October 11th, 2012 19:00

No worries Jim. I am on Vista yes, and I've run through a diag and it does appear it boils down to hardware. Oh well, bit of a shame but at least I've pinpointed the issue and can go about getting it resolved.

1.8K Posts

October 16th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

You can try connecting headphones or external speakers to the output jack and listen for audio. Let me know if you are able to hear sound from that.

If you are not able to hear sound from headphones or external speakers, I will recommend you to run a custom test on the integrated sound card of your computer following the steps below: 

• Please restart the system.
  • As soon as you see the blue Dell logo tapping the ‘F12’ key which is at the top of the keyboard. If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After tapping ‘F12’ key, a new window would appear. Now using the down arrow key highlight the “Diagnostics” and press ‘Enter’.
  • Now, the Dell diagnostics will load; the main menu will appear with four options.
    (a)Express Test(b)Extended Test(c)Custom Test(d)Symptom Tree  
  • Click on Custom Test and a list of devices will appear.
  • Highlight the Sound or Audio devices by clicking on it.
  • Now click on the Run Test option which is at the bottom of the window.
  • The tests will start.
  • After the test is finished it will generate a report, it may even provide some error codes with description.

Please let me know the error codes, if any. If the test passes, you can try restoring your computer to default factory settings.

Note: Before you proceed, I will advise you to take a complete backup of your data (pictures, music, applications, videos, documents) as this step leads to complete data loss. Remove all the external peripherals (like printers, scanners, any USB device except keyboard and mouse) connected to your computer.

• Start the computer.
  • Tap the key about 5-6 times on the keyboard during the startup process ( as soon as you see the blue Dell logo) until you see the Windows Advanced Options menu on the screen.

Note:  If the Windows Advanced Options menu does not appear, restart the system and try again.

• Press the key to select Repair Your Computer and press the key.
  • The System Recovery Options window appears.
  • Select your language and click next.
  • Click Dell Factory Image Restore.
  • The Dell Factory Image Restore window appears.
  • Click Next.
  • Check Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition. 
  • Click Next.  
  • Click Finish to restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, it is an issue with the motherboard of your computer. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with the information.

No Events found!