Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 7th, 2012 22:00

Inspiron 1750 Windows 7 Audio Problems

My computer is a 64 bit Dell Inspiron 1750 which runs Windows 7 Home Edition. I bought the computer 01/10

A few days ago I went to convert a PowerPoint slide show into a MP4 video with music. After the video was made I listened to it and the audio was sluggish, had "skips" and a sorta static like sound intermittently.

So, I opened every audio application I use such as Audacity, Real Player, Windows Media Player, Itunes, Youtube etc. and every one of them have the same issues.When I play a music CD I bought at a store the same problems are present. I don't use external speakers.

All of my computers drivers are up to date. I ran a Dell diagnostic tool which states all of my hardware is working properly. Oddly, when the diagnostic tool was running my computer screen "blinked" several times and then a scene of the inside of a computer appeared where this avatar guy with a big alien like head was walking around and unplugging and replugging wires. There were also a bunch of blue flames all around the screen!! ~ ?? has anyone ever seen this?

Any way, I also ran this Microsoft software tool that was supposed to check software issues which was recommended by Dell. It said the audio needed to be reset to default and then it just went ahead and did it. Afterward my audio went from choppy, sluggish, skipping etc. to No sound whatsoever.

I then did a system restore to an earlier date and my sound returned.

I also tried following direction with regard to changing the IDE controllers but there is not an "advanced settings tab" & instructions from there were futile.

I have not installed any new software recently to my knowledge. However, there is one thing in my Programs that I don't recall seeing the last time I looked (being well before this audio issue). It's called: Advanced Audio FX Engine. Does anyone know about this program? Do you know if it's a vital or shall I say "Native" program which I should not uninstall? I cannot seen to locate any information about it.

I assume since the diagnostic report said my hardware is fully functional that replacing the sound card would resolve the problem. So, I am wondering if maybe I should back up all my recent files (as i have other backups) and then reinstall Windows 7 back to factory settings ~ ?? Does anyone think this could save my (sanity) computer and make the audio functional again?

Sorry my post is so long but I depend on my computer for my livelihood. So, I am very interested in fixing this problem.

If anyone has had this same issue and was able to resolve it I would greatly and with all my heart appreciate it if you could share the steps you took.

Or, if you know where I can turn for help that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much for taking the time to read my (long) post. You can email me at < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 8th, 2012 06:00

Hello. I would double check the hardware by running the Dell Diagnostics audio tests. It doesn't do anything fancy, just plays music through the hardware in an environment that is completely separated from Windows and Windows drivers. You listen to the music during the tests and if you hear the problem then it is in the hardware. If you do not hear the problem then it is in Windows or drivers. If it is the latter then yes, restoring back to the factory configuration will resolve the problem. If the former then Dell will repair it if you are still under warranty.

I am not familiar with the tests you used and don't know what the flames mean. It seems that those tests ran within Windows which is not as desirable as the way Dell Diagnostics work. Even if the audio tests pass, I would suggest running the full Diagnostics just in case anything else is going on with the hardware.

Before restoring the whole computer, try either reinstalling your current IDT audio driver or downloading a fresh copy of it. Either way will return the audio driver settings to the defaults.

The IDE instructions may have been for a PATA hard drive instead of your SATA drive. If you saw my instructions in the "Choppy/Skipping Audio Workaround" FAQ I used "IDE" as a synonym for PATA and I am going to clear that up the next time I edit.

The Advanced Audio FX Engine is part of the webcam software. Those effects can make audio that is picked up by the internal mic sound weird, but I don't think they can alter all of your other audio. If you have the Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi MB software installed, that might have a similar effects engine that could affect all of your audio. I have an ancient version some Creative Labs software that can slow down all of the audio, but not skips and static. Static can be caused by a faulty power adapter, but it would not slow down the music.

12 Posts

January 8th, 2012 11:00

Jim ~ thank you so very much for your time!! I really appreciate your pointers. I've just got back home and after a quick lunch I'm eager to sit down and try everything you just taught me.

I thought I had run a Dell Diagnostics but maybe I didn't ~ as I dare say you're more than likely much better equipped at knowing : )  I've just been run"n around in the dark.

By reinstalling the IDT ~ am I to click the "uninstall" w/in the device manager & then reboot my pc so that it detects the need for it to be reinstalled or updated? I'm a bit nervous to click the uninstall w/out knowing for certain what it is I should do thereafter.

btw ~ my laptop is no longer under warranty. It's 2 yrs old and I was unable to purchase the extended plan.

Pardon me as I am just learning to exist w/computers again for the first time in the past 12 yrs.

okay, well ... off for some lunch then back to doctoring this computer of mine ... i should probably say nursing ; ) lol

I hope though I clicked the ... "yes this answered my question" ~ that you'll still be able to communicate w/me on this thread. I would greatly appreciate it ~ should you choose to continue helping me.

Hope you're having a wonderful Sunday afternoon

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 8th, 2012 12:00

You are correct about uninstalling the IDT driver in Device Manager. There are 3 ways to go:

> Don't select the option to delete the files, and the driver will be rebuilt from the files that are in a folder on the hard drive.

> Do select the option to delete the files and, if there is no other IDT driver on the hard drive, Windows will install its own basic audio driver. This is useful as a diagnostic tool because if a problem exists when either the IDT driver or the basic driver is installed then the problem is probably not with the drivers. When the basic driver is installed you would need to download the IDT driver to reinstall it when you want it back. Usually the basic driver does not work as well as the IDT driver.

> Or download a fresh copy of the IDT driver without uninstalling the current one. If it is a newer version it should overwrite the old one, similar to updating the old one. I don't know if it will overwrite if it is the same version. Actually, "overwrite" is inaccurate. Multiple different versions of the driver files can co-exist on the hard driver in separate folders. The newest one is the one that gets installed on boot up.

If you have been away from computers for 12 years you had a good break. They can test your sanity as you said. I don't know what it wrong with yours. I don't think it is a hardware problem, at least I have never heard of a hardware problem that would produce your symptoms..

Thanks, I am having a pleasant afternoon, napping through some football games.

12 Posts

January 9th, 2012 21:00

Hey Jim ... I was uncertain I could still chat w/u on this thread b/c I clicked that you had answered my question. So, I started a new thread about making certain I would go about uninstalling and reinstalling the IDT audio driver.

You've been a real trooper helping me along and I want you to know I really appreciate your assistance greatly!!

I'm wondering if I have a software and a hardware issue ~ ?? lol ... that would be just my luck.

Either way ~ I'm currently looking to just buy a new one. Any suggestions? It bugs we that things aren't built to last and that I'm adding to the huge pile of toxic disposables. There must be an environmentally friendly way to dispose an "old" computer. OLD ='s walking out the door with your "new" computer. lol

So, between your naps did you notice if your team(s) won or not? ; )

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 10th, 2012 05:00

So, I am wondering if maybe I should back up all my recent files (as i have other backups) and then reinstall Windows 7 back to factory settings ~ ?? Does anyone think this could save my (sanity) computer and make the audio functional again?

If that is not too burdensome for you, you ought to just go ahead and do that. If you still have the problem immediately afterward, before updating anything or making any changes, then it is definitely a hardware problem. If the restoration fixes it then it was a software problem.

If it is a software problem then I can't recommend any other computer because they all develop those. If it is hardware, my advice is whatever you get, when the warranty is about to expire extend the warranty. Laptops have a hard life. It's a wonder they do as good as they do. Asus, Toshiba and Apple are supposed to be  good brands.  I don't know personally. I bought this cheap Dell laptop (Inspiron 1100) 9 years ago and have been nursing it along ever since. I have replaced every part so far except the motherboard. I get used parts on ebay and mostly they are very inexpensive. I don't have a budget for a new computer. One day I will probably buy a newer used one. I see some good deals on ebay and craigslist.

I managed to stay awake for the great game between Denver and Pittsburgh. They will be talking about that one for a long time.

12 Posts

January 14th, 2012 12:00

hey Jim,  sorry i haven't been back to post. my bf has been very sick w/a bad tooth. poor guy he was in so much pain but he had surgery yesterday so he'll be better soon. no dental insurance so no new computer any time soon. ain't life grand? we order through QVC or HSN and do the 5-6 payment plan and even that's always been difficult but we're trying to launch a Mobile/Virtual Advertising company.

any way, lol ... nuff about that ... i like the idea of just replacing parts b/c i think of all the toxic dumps in 3rd world countries that i don't want to add to any more than i must

so, now i'm  going to get back to a few things ... going to try downloading a fresh copy & if that doesn't work then i'll backup and reinstall windows to factory settings.

i hope all is well with you & that you're enjoying saturday football ~ it appears Steven Tyler is in the audience today : ) take care & be well & thanx again for everything!! : )

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 15th, 2012 06:00

Kara, I will reply to your new thread here and keep it all in one place. I saw that Royan gave a partial answer in the new thread.

So, I ran the Dell Diagnostic tool and the Internal Mic and Side Mic failed the test. Does anyone know if I can fix Mic problems myself?

The Dell Diagnostics audio tests are designed to narrow a problem down to either software or hardware. If you get an error code and there was no human error during the test (if you answered the interactive questions correctly) then it is a hardware problem. The test does not know the exact position in the hardware where the failure occurred. For example, if the external mic test failed, it could have been the mic you were using during the test that failed.

Do they also have "Drivers"? Is there any chance I could follow the same uninstall & reinstall for the Mic? I cannot seem to locate the Mic in the Driver Manager. So, should I be looking in an other place?

The mics do not have their own drivers.

The mic/line-in jack is controlled by the audio driver. The internal mic array is controlled by the webcam software, which consists of the webcam driver and the Webcam Central application. Installing or re-installing any of that would not alter the results of the Dell Diagnostics tests, because the tests operate outside of Windows and do not use any of those Windows drivers. That is why if a device passes the tests but doesn't work when you boot back into Windows, you know the problem is in the software -- either the driver or Windows itself.

Also, is it "normal" for an issue w/the mic to interfere w/the proper function or sound/audio?

No. I have never heard of that happening.

One thing that is odd about this is that both the internal mic and the external mics failed. That is an unusual coincidence.

No Events found!