Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2013 14:00

Inspiron 17R 5720 Blank Screen

Ok, so I have this laptop (17R 5720) that I got in November. Um every time I turn it on, I get a blank screen just after the dell logo pops up. I've tried taking out the battery and unplugging the adapter and holding the power button for 30 seconds and putting the battery back in. I've tried "D" + power, tried Fn + Power, tried F2 to get to the BIOS window, and I've tried F12 (which only got me to the Boot menu). Still nothing happens. Don't know what else I can do. It looks like I only got limited access to technical support so I hope it's nothing major that I have to deal with. Thanks

1 Message

March 27th, 2013 15:00

I have just gone thru the same thing. Dell ended up sending a technician to replace the motherboard.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 27th, 2013 15:00

Hi colonel1fan,

To assist you further I would like to know, did you try to run diagnostics from F12 option.

What happens when you power on the system with Fn + power button?

Did you check in BIOS if hard drive is detected or not.

Please check in BIOS if the hard drive is detected, to check in BIOS follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Restart the computer by tapping F2 key. In the BIOS under Main screen, check the option beside Fixed HDD; if the option shows the hard drive proceed to the next step2. If the option is “None” then the hard drive needs to be reseated. Turn of the computer and reseat the hard drive and repeat step-1.
  2. Select the Advanced screen and change the SATA operation to AHCI.
  3. Select the Boot screen, select 1st boot priority to hard drive and 2nd boot priority to CD/DVD drive.
  4. Press F10 to save and press Ecs key to exit from the BIOS screen.

Now please reboot the system and check. If the system is not booting normally then run custom test on the hard drive. To run custom test please follow the below mentioned steps:

1. Switch on the computer, tap F12 at dell logo to enter “One-time boot menu”.
  2. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight “Diagnostics” and press enter.
  3. Select Custom Test and select hard drive.
  4. If the test fails, please capture the error code and let me know for the next course of action.

Please reply with results.

March 27th, 2013 23:00

Ok when I do F12 all I get is the boot menu saying under uefi boot- removable drive, network boot. Under other options it's telling me to change boot mode settings which is all I can do. Nothing else works at this point. F2 isn't showing a menu for me at all. Fn+power seems to like warm  but nothing really happens. Only thing I can do is change Boot mode to either legacy boot mode (off) or uefi boot mode (off), been though it is on uefi boot at the moment.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 29th, 2013 15:00

Hi colonel1fan,

I would like you to follow the steps in the above post to enter boot menu and change the Boot options to Legacy, save the changes and restart the system. Check if that helps.

As this situation requires more research, for me to also understand the system specifications, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

To private message, click my user name and click “Start conversation”. 

Awaiting your response!  

No Events found!