Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2013 15:00

Inspiron 17R 5720 won't boot, can't change BIOS settings, can't boot from USB or disk

I have a Dell Inspiron 17R 5720 that I bought a couple weeks ago. A few days ago I was updating some system updates, and the computer re-booted itself after installing and quit working. After the Dell logo the screen just goes black and stays that way. I did some research and found that this was a problem for this specific model, and when trying to update it corrupts the BIOS so it can’t restart. I read the solution was to use a Windows 8 recovery bootable DVD or flash drive to fix it, then update the BIOS with an updated BIOS version.

I did not have a Dell Windows 8 recovery disk, so I read that I could download the .ISO and use Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to extract it to a flash drive or dual-layer DVD. I used my older laptop which I bought the Dell to replace (Compaq dual-core running Vista 32 bit) to find and download the .ISO and MS install tool to try and create a bootable Dell Windows 8 recovery disk.

I did not have any dual-layer DVDs, so I used a flash drive which I read had to be greater than 4 GB. I also read that the flash drive had to be formated to FAT32 instead of NTFS so I did that first. After formatting to FAT32 I tried using the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool to create a bootable flash drive, but it gave me errors that it wouldn’t work. I read another option I could try was to use a program that would mount the .ISO file as a virtual drive so I could copy the files from it manually to the flash drive. I installed a recommend program so I could mount the .ISO and copy the files to my 8 GB flash drive. It said it would take over 4 hours to copy the files, so I left it to copy while I went to bed for the night.

The next morning I saw that my older computer had rebooted itself sometime in the night (Guessing after installing some system updates) and I wasn’t sure if it had finished copying all the files to the flash drive before it rebooted, but I didn’t want to take 4+ more hours to re-copy them all.

I did some more reading to see if I could shrink the files somehow to fit the recovery files from the .ISO onto a regular DVD since I didn’t have any dual-layer disks, and I read that I could do that if I left out the language folder from inside the .ISO when I copied it. I thought this would be good to try as a second option, so I mounted the .ISO and copied all the files except the language folder to a blank DVD and closed the DVD session. I tried rebooting the Dell with the disk I made, and the USB drive and neither is working.

I thought I might need to change the boot order, so I re-booted and hit F2 to load the BIOS settings. I tried some recommended changes I read, but nothing worked. If I changed any of the settings under the boot tab and rebooted, it would say “operating system not found!” or something like that.

I think I have figured out that I need to go to the “add boot option” selection, but it won’t let me add a boot option so I can tell it to boot from the USB. So, this is where I’m stuck. I can’t boot from the DVD or USB, and it won’t let me change the BIOS settings so I can. What do I do now? I can provide more info or pics of the screen if needed. Thanks.

1.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Andy Wayne,

You may try refreshing the system. please follow the steps below:

• Shut down the computer
  • Power On the system
  • Power Off the system at Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen
  • Repeat the above steps 2-3 times
  • Click ‘Troubleshoot’
  • Click ‘Refresh’ to refresh the system

*Note: The apps that came with your PC or you installed from Windows Store will be reinstalled, but any apps you installed from other websites and DVDs will be removed. Windows puts a list of the removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

You may add USB drive in boot options by following the steps below:

• Attach the USB drive and power on system to enter BIOS setup menu.
  • Go to Boot section and choose ‘Add Boot Option’.
  •  Type the Boot option name as USB ODD 
  • Switch to ‘File Name’ section and select the EFI file you want to boot and hit .

• Click yes to save the profile.
  • The boot option will appear in UEFI Boot list under boot manager now.
  • Enter boot manager via , You can find the UEFI boot option as well.

Hope this helps. Please reply with the findings.

April 23rd, 2013 15:00

It shows the Dell logo in white, but it's not showing any rolling dots at the bottom. I tried powering it off several times like you said, but that didn't do anything. It won't let me add a boot option, when I try it says, "File System Not Found!" (See pic below)

o

I also found that where it locks up on the black screen, If I hit Enter key it shows a bar at the bottom and says, "F12 Boot Options" (pic below). But when it says this if I push F12 it doesn't do anything. Even CTRL ALT DEL does nothing. I have to hit the power button to turn it off. 

This is my first Dell, and I bought it on eBay as a manufacture refurbished unit from a computer store. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-17-5720-17R-Laptop-3rd-Gen-Ci7-8GB-Ram-1TB-HD-NVIDIA-1GB-GeForce-/360621269393

1.5K Posts

April 24th, 2013 07:00

Hi Andy Wayne,

It seems that the ISO image has not mounted properly on the flash drive. The best course of action would be to install the operating system from Dell installation media.

Please provide me the Service Tag and the name as it appears on the account via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) so I may access your records and check for further course of action.

I would be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

June 9th, 2013 18:00

Hy, guys I have the same problem.It happened to me yesterday.:emotion-6:

How can we fix it > file sysem not found instead of appearing the blue window where we can choose 

the options for booting ?

Best regards,

3 Posts

June 14th, 2013 10:00

I also have the exact same problem. I've tried a variety of the "solutions" suggested on the forum on this thread and others and have not, so far, been successful. I *was* able to boot to a Windows 8 install DVD after adding a CD-ROM boot option to the UEFI boot menu; however, the UEFI bios doesn't "see" the hard drive at boot and, therefore, doesn't allow it to be added to the UEFI boot menu.

Using the Windows 8 DVD I attempted just about every Repair option available, including a "Refresh", however, the real problem appears that the BIOS is mucked up and doesn't "see" the HDD to boot. A new motherboard will fix this, of course, but I'm hopeful that I can find another way to boot the system to where I can re-flash the BIOS (the BIOS on this machine currently is A09 I think but I'd re-flash to something more current).

I cannot get ANY legacy boot options to work -- the system won't boot to a legacy CD or DVD, nor to a legacy (MBR) USB stick. The BIOS does list Removable Drive in the Legacy options but it won't actually boot to them, most likely because the BIOS is messed up. Since I have been able to boot to a UEFI DVD my next try is to build a UEFI USB stick and see if I can get that to boot for me and get me to a point where I can flash the BIOS. As far as I can see, the only options to fix this are a BIOS flash or a motherboard replacement, the latter a PITA to deal with.

I'll chime back in on this thread with updated test results when/if I can get a UEFI USB stick to allow me to flash the BIOS. If that doesn't work, a motherboard replacement is probably the only option. :(

3 Posts

June 14th, 2013 15:00

HY, DELL-AMOGH G IT'S ME GABIACAS I can't find the click for start the private conversation with you.

I wish to send you my service tag number but how ?

1.5K Posts

June 15th, 2013 12:00

Hi rclarkin/ gabiacas,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight ‘Diagnostics’ and press
  • The computer begins to run the ‘Pre-boot System Assessment’, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

You may reset the BIOS to defaults. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and tap at the ‘Dell’ logo
  • Press on the ‘System Setup Utility’ screen and then press ‘Enter’
  • Press and press again

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist.

June 15th, 2013 14:00

Having same problem with booting. Happened on June 12 after loading systme update....I can't run diagnostics...when I tap the F12 key nothing happens (I am also at the screen where it says F12 Boot Options in lower right corner). Called Dell Tech support this morning. They told me I have to call back tomorrow since whatever system they need to do advanced diagnostics is down for maintenance. Any suggestions? Sunflower PA

3 Posts

June 15th, 2013 15:00

Hy there again, finally I have some good newz for you, people.I did it !

Oh yes I did it.Right now I'm writing from my Dell Inspiron 5720.

Everyone knows a lot of programs for recovery.

Acronis is the best. But not that Home Edition; we are talking about Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 - google it :emotion-4:-you know what I mean  !

You have to install it onto your PC.

In fact I had 2 laptops one dell inspiron 1525 from 2009;I created a bootable rescue media builder with this one, I choose a CD/DVD option.

With this one running on dell inspiron 5720, I hit F2 to go in BIOS , there UEFI enabled, secure boot disabled, and I hit that command - add boot options , then save change and exit.

Now my dell is booting in acronis mode with recovery option.

there you have an option labeled ,,vault''; then you search your img backup with .tib extension( for example my_backup_win_x64_scan_print_hp_office2013_included.tib ) - this was my first option when I installed windows 8 - backed up on my D or E partition.

After that I'm waitin' about 35 min , restarting and Here I am :).

Then I made that upgrade from dell that damn revision of BIOS - A15 5720, installed from windows.

Now I downloaded that factory software dell backup recovery. just in case. I activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, when you hit F11; now

I'm very happy but tired. 

Good luck my fellows 

Best regards.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 11:00

Hi gabiacas,

Thank you for the response. I am glad the issue has been resolved and appreciate you technical expertise.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2013 12:00

Hi Sunflower PA,

Please ensure the following settings are updated in system BIOS. You may follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and tap 3-4 times to access system BIOS.
  • Go to ‘Boot’
  • ‘Boot List Option’ should be ‘UEFI’
  • ‘Secure Boot’ should be ‘Enabled’.
  • ‘Load Legacy Option Rom’ should be ‘Disabled’
  • Press to ‘Save Changes and Exit’

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

June 18th, 2013 17:00

I checked my settings in BIOS and they were as shown:

◦Power on the system and tap 3-4 times to access system BIOS.

◦Go to ‘Boot’

◦‘Boot List Option’ should be ‘UEFI’

◦‘Secure Boot’ should be ‘Enabled’.

◦‘Load Legacy Option Rom’ should be ‘Disabled’

◦Press to ‘Save Changes and Exit’

Still does not boot up.  I havea technician coming on 6/19 with a new motherboard.  Based on the Dell Community responses, this seems to usually fix the problem.  I certainly hope it does.  It is very disappointing to buy a new quality, expensive laptop and not havie it work for 6 days (and counting) is unacceptable to me in today's world.  

1.5K Posts

June 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi Sunflower PA,

Thank you for the information. I regret for the inconvenience. I hope the replacement of motherboard will take care of the issue.

Keep me updated. I will be glad to assist further. 

2 Posts

June 24th, 2013 23:00

I have a Insipron 5720, 4 months old, this morning it stopped showing anything other than the DELL logo on system boot, I see the F12 option at the bottom right corner but cannot go into any menu F2 (bios), F12(boot menu)....nothing.

I tried the bios A17 update but i don;t have any USB 2.0 ports on this one :(

Guess i will have to wait for that magic motherboard

2 Posts

June 25th, 2013 09:00

same here pankaj i am trying to downgrade to win 7 but no boot options F12 F2 F10 ESC  nothing works on post , i have win7 instal disk but no way of booting to it ? any suggestions , maybe i remove hd so it will be forced to give me a menu ?

No Events found!