Highlighted
2 Iron

Inspiron 17R 5721 processor Upgradeable?

A young friend was just given his 'great aunt's' Inspiron 17R 5721 that has an i5 1.8GHz processor in it (according to what he is telling me), which is maybe a bit disappointing (IMHO).  ORDINARILY I would suggest 'upgrading' this to something more capable, but I've 'heard thru the grapevine' that this processor is soldered on the mobo so its not removable ..?  Really guys? is this true..?

He wants to improve the performance of this as much a possible, so we're sticking a 250 GB SSD into it (clean load of Win10 on it) and taking the old disk out for installation into a USB external enclosure.  RAM already sits at 16 GB, so that's more than sufficient (IMHO), and my next suggestion was a 'better' i5 chip, but I'm hoping someone will tell me that what I heard is ***, and I CAN replace this processor with something 'better'... (???)  Any chance of this..?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

RE: Inspiron 17R 5721 processor Upgradeable?

Of course it's soldered and effectively all Laptop processors always have been. A decade ago when laptops were actually made by different manufacturers some at times were replaceable. Today they are all basically made by FoxConn. Regardless of  brand, ie. dell, hp.. all foxconn. There is nothing wrong with I5 to the point replacing it will gain anything. Dell and HP still sell mostly I3 and only dual core. Laptops are disposable. Once a system is booted there is little difference. A normal win10 system doesn't use more than 4G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
10 Diamond

RE: Inspiron 17R 5721 processor Upgradeable?

The processor cannot be upgraded wiithout replacing the entire mainboard - you're looking at over $200-250 just for the board, plus labor - and possibly the need for a new power adapter as well.

the SSD alone will make a much bigger impact than a processor upgrade will.

If you still wish to change the board to upgrade the CPU, see

www.parts-people.com/index.php

0 Kudos