Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2015 18:00

Inspiron 17R 5721 replaced HD now driver is locked....

My HD failed and I replaced the HD in my  Inspiron 17R 5721 - now  I get the message that  the driver is locked.

When trying to reboot from the USB reboot I created last summer this is what I get:

when I try to

'reset PC'  I get  'unable to reset/a required drive partition was missing.

'Refresh' I get  'drive where windows is installed is locked.Unlock and retry again.'

Can you please tell me what to do now? I just replaced the power source and the battery so they are new as well. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! 

9.4K Posts

March 19th, 2015 10:00

Hi Ehharris,

Thanks for your post.

Here's some information I've found. 

How to fix the quick way -

1. Boot up from your Windows 8 disc
2. Don't click 'Install Now', click Repair Your Computer
3. Click Advanced Options
4. Click Other Options
5. Click Diagnose my PC
6. Wait for your computer to reboot

Your computer has now an unlocked hard drive.
More information is available on the Microsoft website.

Regards,
Robert

3 Posts

March 19th, 2015 11:00

Robert- Hello. I don't have the disks. It didn't come with them so I created installation help on a USB drive. I must not have done something right while trying to make the boot drive.  Dell has offered to send me the disks this one time. When I get them, I will do as you have so kindly instructed. I will report back when i get them. THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to respond!!!!! Elaine

3 Posts

April 12th, 2015 05:00

Robert- I wanted to update you. Dell sent me the install disks the very next day after I talked with them! I installed the disks and did not have the locked HD message. Evidently my issue was my home made USB boot.  I wish the PCs came with the disks like they used to, but I was so happy with the speed in which mine came after my request. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! My PC is up and running even better than before.  Sincerely- E

No Events found!