Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2015 03:00

Inspiron 17R 5737 seems incompatible with Windows 10

I have this problem for a few days now, happened 3 times already.

I do a clean install of Windows 10 from the DVD ISO and everything works fine. Laptop works well, Windows seems stable and fast.

Then I notice it downloads some updates in the background and when I try to shut the computer off, or to restart or hibernate it, it hangs for a while and then pops with a blue screen of death with the message driver_power_state_failure

I haven't been able to grab a memory dump file because there isn't one but I am sure it must be the updates being applied that cause all the problems because Windows 10 works fine before the reboot for as many hours it remains un-rebooted.

After the error appears it goes into Automatic repair mode where resetting windows or going into safe mode are not working. The only way to get the laptop working again is to format and reinstall Windows 10 and then the same problem occurs at first reboot.

I need some help troubleshooting this. I have the latest BIOS and I'm not sure what to try next. Do others with the same laptop have the same issues? Is it a known problem?

Please help.
Thank you in advance

11 Posts

September 11th, 2015 02:00

Hi Todd, 

I spent all day working on this yesterday and I got my laptop being able to reboot for the very first time.

The problem is caused by the latest Intel Graphics driver which is automatically downloaded and installed by Windows Update. I now use the Catalyst Leshcat version which is 10.18.14.4222 and everything works well.

However it was extremely difficult to get this to work because Windows installs the driver during the "Set up" phase of Windows 10 Installation so to avoid getting it you have to turn internet off during installation and then when set up is complete set up your Internet as "metered" so no updates will be downloaded. This needs to be done super quickly because it will download and install it super quickly if you let it.

I am now doomed to have Updates switched off because I have done a few experiments and they all failed. One experiment was letting it install the drivers automatically and then forcing the old ones on top of the ones it installed for me, which didn't work.

Also the  the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package called wushowhide.diagcab didn't work for me. I select the Graphics adapter driver and it says it is hidden but when I let windows run windows update, for some reason, the Graphic cards get installed and my computer gets ruined again.

I think my Dell computer was not ready for Windows 10 and I find it exasperating how little control we have over those "automatic updates" that force themselves on you, even when they just destroy the computer.

I am happy that my computer works now but Windows Updates will remain permanently switched off.

I hope this helps someone with the same Laptop as me

1.8K Posts

September 10th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

Check out this blog about how to turn off automatic updates in Windows 10.   The error you're seeing makes me think it's a video card driver issue.  Which video card do you have in your 17r?  

Here is a link to the drivers download page for the Inspiron 17R 5737.   (Make sure you filter the OS options to Windows 10).   I would suggest turning off automatic updates, going to the drivers download page and updating your video driver (and any other drivers that you find newer driver versions for), and then seeing it that helps alleviate the problem.

Let me know how that works, or if you found another way to resolve your problem.  Hopefully updating the video driver on your own, before Windows updates it automatically, will help.

Todd

1.8K Posts

September 11th, 2015 08:00

Also the  the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package called wushowhide.diagcab didn't work for me. I select the Graphics adapter driver and it says it is hidden but when I let windows run windows update, for some reason, the Graphic cards get installed and my computer gets ruined again.

I think my Dell computer was not ready for Windows 10 and I find it exasperating how little control we have over those "automatic updates" that force themselves on you, even when they just destroy the computer.

I am happy that my computer works now but Windows Updates will remain permanently switched off.

When you are using that utility are you seeing the same screens as displayed in this article?  Unfortunately, we have no control over what drivers that Microsoft is pushing out to people.  The Windows 10 upgrade offer is something Microsoft controls and we are, essentially, trying to help people how we can.  Have you checked with Microsoft to see if they can explain why the update blocking utility isn't working for you?

Todd

11 Posts

September 11th, 2015 09:00

Hi Todd,

I do know now that it's not DELL's fault but Microsoft Windows shoving a defective driver onto my system by force and perhaps also Intel having the latest driver showing up as incompatible (Whereas previous versions are not). I have no way of complaining to them directly so I'll have to see if there will be a fix for that in the future. Until then I will continue to block any access to Windows update.

I do see the same screens as that article. I select the driver and it shows "Fixed". However when I switch the connection to unmetered, it downloads the driver anyway.
It's exasperating

1.8K Posts

September 14th, 2015 09:00

I do see the same screens as that article. I select the driver and it shows "Fixed". However when I switch the connection to unmetered, it downloads the driver anyway.
It's exasperating

I don't think you can switch it to "unmetered" until that driver is updated with a new version.  I would expect that it will either be replaced (the driver) or Microsoft will change how available updates are handled.  At least, I hope.  Because as soon as it's "Unmetered" again Automatic Updates will download and install.  

EDIT:  Here is Microsoft's Support article:   

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10

Todd

No Events found!