Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 17R 5737 - weird buzzing sound when in 3D app/game, pls help!

Hi,

I'm a fresh owner of the new Dell Inspiron 17R 5737 with a Core i7-4500U Haswell processor and an AMD HD 8870M GPU (and rocking Windows 8.1 64bit). Everything had seemed to be ok so far, until I tried some games...

When I launch an app (a game or a benchmark - long story short when there's the dedicated GPU needed) a strange noise appears. It sound a little bit like a very loud HDD, but it is not. It propably also isn't related to the speakers, because the noise is still there even if I mute them. And I think it has nothing to do with the fan too. But I've noticed one thing - if I remove the power cord (e.g. when playing a game) the strange sound magically disappears.

I tried some reccomendations like uninstalling McAfee security, or Intel Matrix storage, but it didn't help (also those were recommendations for issues with speakers).

I really don't know what it could be, maybe the GPU is faulty, or the power brick? Well the thing is - it's very annoying and almost louder, than the fan noise itself (when gaming).

Please help.

P.S. excuse my bad english, I'm Czech.

7 Posts

January 12th, 2014 06:00

Also have the same issue, any suggestions ?

thanks

7 Posts

January 13th, 2014 06:00

I remove the power cord (e.g. when playing a game) the strange sound magically disappears.

probably, i find solution for this issue. i notice that noise appears only then battery level between 95-100%, so let discharge your battery to 90% (or lower) connect charger and launch some 3D app. (yep, it weird, but works for me)

hope this helps

3 Posts

February 8th, 2014 01:00

The problem is in the high-frequency choke is a component of the power delivery system. Best way to fix it to change the motherboard with a new revision.

A lot of Dell home user laptops have that problem in the first revisions of motherboards.

I have the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 3537 i can fix it by myself but if i open it i will destroy my warranty.

So i give it to my reseller (Technopolis Bulgaria) and they will send it to verificated Dell service.

I hope this verificated Dell service to be like in the US Dell service and they fix the problem and not ignore it because my new laptop have a definitely defect  from the first day.

1 Message

March 10th, 2014 05:00

Hi,

I have the same problem. Did they fix your laptop? How long did you wait?

My buzzing noise is not too loud, but still annoys me and perhaps it could cause bigger problems...

Thanks!

No Events found!