Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 17R Fan

I have a New! Inspiron 17R Notebook 5721.  However the fan is always on and running at what appears to be full speed when only running Explorer.  How can I reduce the fan speed?

I would like to know if I can fix the problem without having to return the laptop as faulty.

4 Posts

February 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi,

I've done all the tests downloaded BIOS and still I have a jet plane.  I think there is a fault with the laptops themselves and there are loads of posts on the same subject.

The only way i have found to fix is to use Speedfan : www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I can't find the website I used to configure the application but it world a dream!

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi jonwillgo,

Please clean the fan air vents using a can of compressed air, always use the laptop on a flat surface. To check the hardware is working as designed please release flea power and run the PSA hardware diagnostics in the system. Follow the steps below.

Switch off the system; remove the battery, ac adapter and the power cable. Press and hold down the power button for thirty seconds to drain any excess flea power and run the test. Please run the PSA hardware diagnostics to check if the hardware is working as designed. Follow the steps below.

Turn the computer off >restart the computer

At the Dell logo screen, start tapping the F12 key a few times until you see the ‘One Time Boot Menu’ appear.

At the onetime boot menu, press the down arrow key to highlight ‘Diagnostic’, and then press Enter to begin the PSA diagnostics.

If the test fails, please make a note of any error codes listed. You can also refer to the link below.

http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please do reply for further assistance.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 8th, 2013 21:00

Hi jonwillgo,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please respond to this post.

2 Posts

February 9th, 2013 02:00

Hello,

I have the same problem with fan speed described above (Inspiron 5721) I went through all the test you wrote with no errors. Only when the cpu fan is tested it slows down for a minute and then is speeds up back to 5500rpm with no load.

I also cannot download new drivers from dell website - is the files are missing.

The fan is raelly annoying - please help.

Thank you,

Jan

5 Posts

February 9th, 2013 02:00

Same problem with fan! Help pls!

6 Posts

February 9th, 2013 03:00

Jepp, same problem here to, 5900 rpm after 30 seconds.

Like a jetplane at the left side of my computer....!!!

Why cant we download the fnew Bios (A05) at Dell.com???

6 Posts

February 9th, 2013 07:00

how to configure speedfan?

4 Posts

February 9th, 2013 08:00

yes, after you download Speedfan you need to configure it so that it can take over the control of the fans and stop them going so fast.  I can't find the link I used, will keep searching.

18 Posts

February 10th, 2013 09:00

Having the same problem here, brand new laptop out-of-the-box.  Fan throttles up to 5700 RPM and holds there, even in Pre-boot System Assessment with no load.  Updated the BIOS to A05 with no solution.  Called Dell tech support and they said there is no problem.  I told them politely that both they and I know better and they're going to replace the CPU fan.  Not expecting it to fix the problem but am willing to give it a shot.

Dell, PLEASE FIX THIS!

18 Posts

February 11th, 2013 08:00

Actually, J33, here is what I just posted in another thread:

"I am calling them today to get a refund on the Inspiron New 17r, 5721.  Not only am I having the same problem with not being able to create recovery media, the fan also runs constantly maxed out at 5700 RPM and their tech support tells me "there is no problem because it passes diagnostics", and that they "don't have a record of this being a problem".  Maybe they should read their own forums, because many people with the 5721 are having the same exact fan problem.

To top it off, I decided to do a factory restore to see if that would solve ANY of my issues with this piece of junk and it won't even perform the restore process.  Tells me there is an error resetting the PC.

I have been personally and directly responsible for helping friends and clients purchase literally SCORES of Dell computers over the last several years, not to mention being a key person at my place of emploment responsible for standardizing on Dell computers for all of our PC purchases since 2000.  This includes many hundreds of Dell systems being deployed during that time.  All I can say is that I'm going to be royally ticked off if they attempt to deny my right to return it with the 21 day period and/or charge a restocking fee."

2 Posts

to Jcon72

Jcon72 would you please keep us updated about the change of the fan? If it makes any difference or not?

I called Dell support earlier today and they offered me few differen solutions:

1) to change the whole 5721 thing for anotherone by the seller where I bought it -  called there and they a willing to do that but they are out of stock with 5721 - looks like lots of people are buying this... - which brings question - Does anyone know about someone with 5721 without  the "jet plane syndrom"? I dont belive there is anyone who could use this thing for normal officework with such a noise...

2) they send someone to change the fan and maybe also the motherboard - witch I am willing to ask them even if I probably will have to go through that stupid conversation with them again.

I would just really appreciate if anyone (maybe even from Dell) let us know if there is any way to solve this problem. (I mean without useing 3rd party software for now.)

Thank you.

18 Posts

I originally intended on letting them replace the fan (though it very likely won't fix anything), but after discovering these other issues I'm afraid that I've bought a lemon.  My last personal laptop purchase (Inspiron 1750) from 3 years ago (which this system was supposed to have replaced) has been a 3 year non-stop experience in the blue screeen of death a few times weekly, even after wiping and doing a clean install of Windows.  I'm surely not going to go through another 3 years of non-stop problem with another computer that has issues right out of the box.

18 Posts

February 11th, 2013 10:00

FYI, Dell is refunding my money with minimal amount of problems.  UPS is picking up the laptop tomorrow.  Next job is to figure out what to buy to replace my current laptop.

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

February 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi,

I am sorry for the inconvenience; we will go ahead and escalate this issue to the ‘Engineering team’, so please send the system service tag through a private chat.

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details.

February 15th, 2013 01:00

I'm having this problem as well. I just got the computer today and its very annoying! This fan is louder than a Dell I've had since 2003. 

No Events found!