Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2013 07:00

Inspiron 17R Fan

I have a New! Inspiron 17R Notebook 5721.  However the fan is always on and running at what appears to be full speed when only running Explorer.  How can I reduce the fan speed?

I would like to know if I can fix the problem without having to return the laptop as faulty.

February 15th, 2013 02:00

I'm having this problem as well. I just got the computer today and its very annoying! This fan is louder than a Dell I've had since 2003.

18 Posts

February 16th, 2013 13:00

Thanks, NextTech.  After sending back the 5721 I ended up getting a much nicer machine for only an additional $36 and it doesn't sound like a Boeing 747 taxiing for takeoff.  It's a 5720 with a faster processor (I7-3632QM quad-core, 6MB cache at 3.2 Ghz rather than the I5-3717U dual core, 3 MB cache at 2.6 Ghz) and dedicated graphics (GeForce GT630M with 1GB, rather than the cheesy integrated Intel 4000 chipset).  Now if they'll just fix this ever-present problem with Dell Backup & Recovery Manager not accepting any discs after the first one it'll make a lot of people happy.

10 Posts

February 16th, 2013 13:00

I'm glad that you're getting a refund.

Unfortunately, a client is having the same problem, and thinking about the refund route.  This sounds like a BIOS problem with a bad thermal table/fan speed, but Dell has yet to address the issue.  It could also be a problem heatsink issue, and that would cause me to request a refund.  I'm glad that I didn't recommend this latop to someones else that was looking for a 17in laptop.  Instead, I convinced the other person to go with a 15in Latitude, which is working well...

18 Posts

February 16th, 2013 14:00

Yes, I make my purchases directly through Dell and yes, it's the "old" 17r  The biggest benefit to the "new" model in my opinion was the lower wattage CPU, but my laptop is plugged in most of the time anyway so that doesn't matter much to me and it's a better-performing system.  Not to mention the fact that now I can hear other people talking around me while using the computer since there's not a wind-tunnel roaring in my ear!

10 Posts

February 16th, 2013 14:00

Cool. Isn't the 5720 an older model?  Was that purchased through Dell?  I'm glad I found out about this before recommending this model.  Take care.

1 Message

February 21st, 2013 11:00

Thanks for all your posts. I also recently got the 5721.  I'm not having the fan issue and it is quiet. However, I am also experiencing the Recovery Manager issue not accepting any discs after the first disk which seemed to take forever. I missed the verify step so don't know if any messages popped up.

I also can't get it to find or download the extended McAfee or Adobe Writer I purchased with the order. I've gone back and forth on the phone with tech service to customer service and now back to tech service when I can find time to do this. At first they couldn't even find my Service tag #.  The unit was shipped and came quickly but still showed in production on my order status even though there was a tracking number showing. I was told it was in limbo until it showed shipped and delivered on the order status. A week later they finally got that correct but alas I still can not find the software I purchased.   When I try to download it goes to the register step and I just watch the little circle spin for hours and nothing happens.

The computer came with Office 2013 and the Key Code card was included so I was able to get that program loaded and operating.

The instructions sent with the computer consisted of a small 2 page blue pamphlet label "Quick Start Guide" which had 4 steps to plug in and set up windows.

I've purchased several Dell's over the last ten years but this may be my last. I'm not sure what they are thinking but it is not about the customer. It should not take weeks to get your computer set up. I don't have hours to sit on the phone on hold nor can I sit around waiting for a call back.

272 Posts

February 21st, 2013 15:00

@Jcon72 Actually that 5721 still has the "Cheesy integrated Intel HD XXXX" as every Gen 3 iX Family of processors has some version of an Intel HD IGP built into it, 2500, 3000, 4000 it's part of the CPU package.

With that said, your system has what is called a Discrete Video Card as well. The "Gefore GT630M" included with your unit falls into that category it's not a dedicated graphics card.  

The Difference - the Intel HD XXXX IGP can not only render graphics but it's also the only device that can display what is rendered as it also has all the display technology built into it.  

The Discrete Nvidia GT630M can only Render Graphics it has no display technology, it still needs the Intel HD to Display the Graphics for it.  So if your looking to Disable the Intel HD in the BIOS or for some way of disabling it completely and using the Nvidia card alone, you can't do it, the card must remain active and functioning if not for doing rendering but for the sole purpose of pushing out to the display ports what is rendered by either card.

Luckily Intel/Nvidia drivers play nicely together and for most parts the Nvidia Driver with their Optimus Technology works well (click the link, once you have a better understanding of how it works you'll be all set to go), most of the time their driver will pretty much figure out that an application would be better rendered on the Nvidia Card then the Intel HD IGP and auto-switch for you, but sometimes you may need to force the application over.

BUT, it's not like systems with the Intel/AMD setup (AMD still playing catch-up), generally their drivers have a hard time determining when to automatically force rendering to their discrete AMD cards, past month, month and a half AMD finally getting driver out that seem to allivate the problem with their Enduro Technology works the same as Nvidia's Optimus.

In regards to Dell Backup & Recovery Manager - I had the same issue and after making 4 Beer Coasters for me and my mates - I tried a 16GB USB Memory Stick and it worked.

Cheers

Hope the information passed will clear up any confusions in the future for you, or for that matter anyone else passing thru.

February 25th, 2013 12:00

Helllloooo from Croatia ..... I can simply join to this conversation becouse I have buy model DELL 5721, 17,3", Core i5......AND I HAVE THIS STUPID PROBLEM with fun.....so I expect that DELL corporation make something about this global problem with this model........PLEASE HELP

February 25th, 2013 22:00

Posted by DELL-Sujatha K replied on25 Feb 2013 9:58 PM

Hi Andrew Croatia, I am sorry for the inconvenience. Dell is aware of this issue and we are working on it. BIOS release is expected anytime in the month of March which will resolve the issue. I will keep you posted once latest BIOS version is released. You may also keep checking for the latest BIOS release on the Dell support website.

Sooooo to everbody I have answer from DELL people that they work on solution for our FAN PROBLEM.......

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

March 5th, 2013 01:00

Hi,

For this issue BIOS update has been released on 4th March, Please download and install the same. Kindly provide me an update.

http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code, under the BIOS category the latest BIOS is available version (A06).

Please connect the Ac Adapter while updating the BIOS and do not use the system once the update is initiated and until the system restarts completely

1 Message

April 22nd, 2013 08:00

This is a problem for me as well.  Straight out of the box, it is a jet plane.

Completely unacceptable.

If there is an easy fix, please post it now.  Otherwise, I have to return it.

1 Message

September 1st, 2015 18:00

I had a different problem and did not realize that my fan wasn't running FAST ENOUGH.  I had purchased the service plan and gave Dell a call.  The technician had been sent several components by Dell and ended up replacing the entire motherboard.  I was surprised to start hearing the chassis fan, like it was when the machine was new.

Currently, I've bean playing the League of Legends online game (my sons talked me into it for Game Nights and I like the big screen).  The last three tries, during game play, the screen has gone blank and the machine is dead.  I can restart immediately (and rejoin the game-in-progress) but the same thing happens again after a few minutes.  I've noticed that it's very warm between the touch pad and the spacebar.  Then I switch laptops.  The game runs without error on my older Dell Core2 laptops and I always use a smooth surface lap desk (also, no pets).

I was looking here before making a call to Service Support.  If it's your key box (I use mine for CAD), then the service contracts are worth the @$100.  But I wouldn't stretch it too far into the cost of a new machine/technology; three years of heavy use is about it.

I'll try to let you know the outcome.

No Events found!