Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 25th, 2014 09:00

Inspiron 17R N7110 mSATA Mini (Half Size) SSD

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Laptop Inspiron 17R N7110 with a SSD for Windows boot. I do only have one place where the HDD is already built in and I want to keep the HDD.

When I was removing the dust inside the Laptop at the fan I saw the (half) "mini-card"-Slots. In one I have the WLAN, but the otherone is empty. So my Idea was to add a  mSATA Mini (Half Size) SSD.

I saw this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-HybriDisk-Software/dp/B00JF4CUBO/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

But I do not know if this could work (as boot drive for Win8). Do this fit as (half) "mini-card" ? Is SATA III at this slot supported? What do I have to change at BIOS?

Thanks to everyone who answer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2014 05:00

The hybrid drive is the best option for this system (short of getting a full SSD) -- there is no way to put an mSATA SSD in this system.

The system takes standard, 2.5" hard drives up to 9.5 mm in height.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 25th, 2014 11:00

There's no mention in the manual of mSATA support - nor does Crucial list any mSATA drives as being compatible with the N7110.  That is convincing evidence your system won't take an mSATA drive -- mini-PCIe slots won't take mSATA drives unless they're wired to do so, which in all likelihood your system is not.

4 Posts

May 26th, 2014 02:00

Thank you for answering :emotion-1:

Ok this means that the 17r n7110 has a mini-PCIe slot and does not support mSATA.

I found this on wikipedia: "Despite sharing the mini-PCI Express form factor, an mSATA slot is not necessarily electrically compatible with Mini PCI Express. For this reason, only certain notebooks are compatible with mSATA drives."

But this means I could plug in any mini-PCIe (half-size) Card?

Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/MR15-Dual-Micro-Cards-adapter/dp/B00B2CZ4XI/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

I am a bit confused :emotion-18:, there are no mini-PCIe SSD, right? But I also find things like this: http://www.amazon.com/Kingspec-64GB-PATA-miniPCIE-Vostro/dp/B008KWD0Z2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=06QGCQCPY9TXBZ39DWF1 and this seems to be not SATA?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2014 04:00

The first one is for secure digital cards - not mSATA.  They're OK for storage but can't be used as a boot device (and are too slow for OS use anyway).

The other one is for a system that has an EIDE controller - which yours does not.

Neither will do what you want.

4 Posts

Yes I know that the micro sd cards are to slow for boot, but this mini PCIe card would theoretically work in the slot as additional storage. Because I do not have any useage for that slot.

So there is no way to add ssd at this mini-card slot to improve the boot speed?

As an alternative I could use a hybrid sshd storage instead of the bulit in hdd. This will boost the system and I will keep a "normal" hdd. But the cooler solution is if the ssd at the mini-card slot would have worked.

How thin must the sshd be to fit in the 17r n7110? 

4 Posts

ejn63, thank you for your good and fast answers. :emotion-2: My questions are now answered.

3 Posts

September 12th, 2014 16:00

Hello,

I have the same laptop and the same problem. I wanna know what did you do.

Can I install SSD on mini card slot near WLAN or not?

Thanks in advance

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 12th, 2014 19:00

If it's an N7110, no - there is no mSATA support in this  model.

3 Posts

September 13th, 2014 06:00

Yes, it is. And what is solution at last, I should replace HDD with SSD and use HDD from external SATA port? ://

11 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 11:00

Another option (which I'm using already) is to install the SSD in HDD place, and install the regular hdd into a caddy replacing the DVD drive.

There are such options on ebay and amazon (e.g. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-39T2729-Laptop-CD-DVD-Drives-Burner-sowie-2-HDD-Adapter-/400999006283?hash=item5d5d67404b)

I don't need DVD too much those days, and I purchased an external DVD drive which I can share between this laptop and an ultrabook who doesn't have DVD anyway

This way I have windows and apps that I need to be very fast (development environment) installed on SSD, and I installed a 1 TB laptop hdd into the DVD caddy 

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 11:00

Thank you very much, I have already installed ssd in my laptop few months ago just as you said.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2016 19:00

There is no way to install a 2nd HD in N7110. The options are: external HD or to sacrifice the DVD player and install a HD there but an external DVD may be needed.

Is that correct?

Thanks

No Events found!