Highlighted
2 Bronze

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 HDD crashed, install new HDD + mSATA SSD

The 1TB regular HDD in my out-of-warranty 17R-SE crashed so I bought a new drive to replace it.

I am having trouble with the installation from the mSATA SSD drive and/or the IRST mode.

1)  What is the best configuration, RAID with IRST?  AHCI with OS on SSD?  And how do I go about doing a clean install of Windows 10 in that configuration?

2)  Where can I find explanations of the setting available in the BIOS?

I have the Inspiron 17R-SE-7720 with a 1TB HDD, PM830 32GB mSATA SSD, 8GB RAM, installing Windows 10 Education.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
10 Diamond

RE: Inspiron 17R SE 7720 HDD crashed, install new HDD + mSATA SSD

You need to set the BIOS for RAID with IRST.  To run the OS from SSD, you'd need a larger capacity drive - 32G is just too small to run the OS from.

www.dell.com/.../SLN286337

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

As long as you have the IRST driver installed, enabling IRST is a no brainer. Run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program as an administrator (NOT the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Manager program). The middle menu button marked "Performance" is where you enable or disable acceleration. If your drives are configured correctly in BIOS - yes they have to be in a RAID 0 configuration - there should be a clickable link marked "Enable Acceleration". Click on that link and IRST will set you up. If your drives are not set up correctly - They don't show in the IRST program as a RAID 0 SATA array, there will be a clickable link the the performance menu that says "Disable {something}" ( I don't remember specifically what the {something} is, but it is NOT "Acceleration"). Click the "Disable {something}" link, the screen will change and the "Enable Acceleration" link should pop up. Then click on "Enable Acceleration" and you should be in business.

If the IRST program asks you how much of the mSATA drive to allocate to acceleration, do NOT allocate the whole drive. There will be an option to allocate something like 18.2 GB or 18.6 GB, that is what you want to select.

To run the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program, start typing Intel Rapid Storage Technology in the search box until the program name pops up, then right click on the program name and select "Run As Administrator".

Before you start, go into the BIOS setup utility and make sure both your hard drive and mSATA SSD drive are recognized in BIOS, and on the second BIOS setup screen (Advanced) make sure SATA Operation is set to Intel Rapid Storage Technology or Intel Smart Response Technology, whichever your BIOS recognizes, NOT AHCI  ot ATA!

Do NOT try to install anything on your mSATA drive, IRST will take care of that all by itself in a few system starts/restarts.

You may want to visit support.dell.com, enter your system tag number and run Dell System Detect to make sure you have all the correct drivers installed before you start working on IRST.

If all else fails, here is a link the a Dell Knowledgebase article on installing IRST:

www.dell.com/.../SLN298133

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I can not get "enable acceleration" to appear.

From what I've read this means my drives are probably not configured correctly.

My BIOS is set to iRST. BIOS sees both HDD and SSD. WIndows disk management shows system volume on disc 0 and on the SSD it shows about 8GB hibernation volume and 23GB unallocated space.

I have all of the current drivers by Dell system detect.

IRST app shows both drives on the right side of status and manage tabs but I don't see anything that says RAID 0, though BIOS is in iRST mode.

Any ideas? (Does it matter if SSD is dynamic disc or basic?)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Can we assume you have the bios SATA controller in the BIOS set to RAID?

The install to the HDD went normally?

2 Bronze

I have the A17 BIOS. It has SATA setting for intel RST mode (same as RAID but by different name I understand) That is how it is set.

WIndows 10 install went normally once I got an external DVD, my internal ODD died along with the original HDD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

OK, I haven't seen one that doesn't just say RAID...  But if that is set up you should, as was mentioned, go into the Intel utility and see the status of the drives.  If you do not see an option to accelerate you may want to reset the small SSD.

You have a special 8 GB partition on the drive for some reason but it will still use the space left for acceleration.  Maybe you have to select that space for the acceleration to show up.

If you can't get it working I will get a picture for you of my other system which has that configuration.