Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2013 16:00

Inspiron 17R SE (7720) Not Turning On, Battery LED lit up orange

Starting a few days ago, my Dell 17R SE (7720) would freeze completely to all inputs, including the power button, trackpad, and keyboard, but the screen was still on, and you could see that the computer was still functioning (things on screen were still moving, just that no inputs worked). I would have to unplug the AC Adapter and the laptop's battery to get it to start working again, and it would only turn on if I only re-inserted the AC Adapter, after that I would insert the battery. The freezing of inputs has happened multiple times, after 3-4 hours of medium use.

Later, the laptop shut itself down, and then I was able to turn it on using the method I described above (When it shut down, the LED on the edge of the laptop representing the Battery turned orange, and it may have blinked (I am not certain as to whether it blinked or not)). Then the computer shut itself down again, and I tried to use the same method described above, in addition to variations to that method, as well as trying suggestions by Dell Customer Service employees found on these forums (For example removing all extensions to the computer, such as the battery and AC Adapter, etc., and then holding the power button for an extended period of time (10-60 seconds), and then reconnecting the AC Adapter and the battery and pressing the power button). 

The battery life according to the Dell application that came with this Windows 8 laptop was still at 100% as of a few days ago, and when it shut down, it had near full battery left, and it did not seem as if the battery cannot hold a charge anymore. This is the second day the laptop is not turning on, and I have gotten the motherboard on this replaced once already due to the computer not booting past the Dell screen a few months ago.

Thanks for your help in advance!

10 Posts

Also, I forgot to mention that when I would go through the method to restart the laptop when the inputs froze, when it turned on again, the keyboard backlight would be on at full power, whereas I did not have the backlight on before it shut down, and I usually never have the keyboard backlight on.

3.3K Posts

Hi,

Remove the battery from the computer and connect the adapter to check if the computer power on the adapter.

Also, check with a known good adapter.

May I know the status of the Power button LED on the computer?

Refer the following link for more troubleshooting:

http://dell.to/17AimMd

If the issue persists and if the computer has active warranty I shall go ahead and arrange for a service to replace the part.

Check warranty status: http://dell.to/10pMa86

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

No Events found!