Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 won't wake from sleep when lid is closed via usb keyboard/mouse

So I have an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 that has all the latest drivers with BIOS A11 (Win 7 Ultimate x64)...  I have all the power settings configured for correctly for sleep (no hybernate), however no matter what I try, I can't get the laptop to wake when the lid is closed via USB keyboard.

I'm using Logitech's Wave MK560 combo (unifying receiver) - both the keyboard/mouse have the wake option enabled in their hardware settings.  I also have wake from USB enabled in the BIOS.

The interesting thing is that if I put the computer to sleep with the lid open, I can make it sleep/wake it from the Logitech devices.  With the lid closed, I can only make it sleep - the only way to wake it up is to open the lid and press the power button.

Anyone know of a fix to this?

Cliffs Notes:

Lid Open : CAN sleep/wake from USB Keyboard/Mouse

Lid Closed : Can ONLY sleep - won't wake unless I open Lid&press power button

51 Posts

March 21st, 2013 22:00

It appears that a new BIOS A13 was released on the 18th March, all it says in the "fixes" section is "maintain release". Will download it now and see if it has fixed the wake on USB issue.

January 23rd, 2014 10:00

Heya,

I'm afraid I don't have an Inspiron, but as I wrote, on my XPS 13, BIOS A08 seemed to allow this although it seemed to depend on previous BIOS having the option. If I flashed from a BIOS without the option, it was also not present in A08. I can't remember which ones I tried - probably a few.

I'm now running an XPS 14 and the option is in "Advance" (not "Advanced" in the A14 BIOS, together with other USB options like "USB Emulation"; "USB Powershare" and "Intel Speedstep" (I realise this latter option is not USB-related).

December 3rd, 2012 23:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Your system is running with the latest BIOS. Good that you've configured 'power management settings' and 'hardware settings' for the 'wireless keyboard/mouse combo'. You may also try updating the'Chip-set and Video Drivers'.

- Click http://dell.to/UD6MK6 to download the latest chip-set driver
- Click http://dell.to/RygcqY to download the latest Video driver (If NVIDIA discreet card is installed)
- Click http://dell.to/11vlYf8 to download the latest Video driver (If system works only with Intel integrated video card)

Note: Please install each driver one by one
- Click on “Get driver”
- Save the file on your desktop
- Right click on it and select “Run as administrator”
- Follow the prompts on screen to install
- Restart the laptop and re-check

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 4th, 2012 19:00

I just did a fresh install of windows 7, so I have all the latest drivers for chipset/display.  I've also disabled UAC and login as administrator, so that shouldn't be an issue. 

December 5th, 2012 01:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Would like some more details for more clarity on the issue:
- Do you have any external display connected to the laptop? If yes, how is it connected?
- I am quite sure that you've configured the 'power management' settings to disable the laptop from entering into the sleep mode on closing the lid; If not, please select the option 'Do nothing' when the lid is closed (Control Panel > Power Options > Choose what closing the lid does)

You mentioned in your previous post that you changed the 'power management' settings of the keyboard/mouse. I recommend you to change 'power management settings' of all 'USB Root Hubs' also. You may access the 'USB Root Hubs' by expanding 'USB Controllers' on 'Device Manager'.

Hope this helps. Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 5th, 2012 07:00

Yes, I have an external monitor connected via hdmi.

The power function for lid close is set to do nothing.

All usb root hubs have allow wake enabled.

The problem still persists

December 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Thank you for your prompt reply. For more clarity, would like some details in regards to the issue:
- Please try using the laptop with a plugged in 'USB mouse & keyboard' (without the wireless mouse/keyboard combo); and check if the laptop exhibits any change in behavior when put into a similar situation
- Also try using the laptop without any external display connected to it; Put it into sleep mode manually; and re-open the lid to see what happens

Do reply with the observations. I would be glad to assist.

12 Posts

December 9th, 2012 21:00

With a WIRED mouse/keyboard combination, the exact same symptoms are present : If the lid is closed (same settings), I can't wake the laptop unless I open the lid and push the power button.  If the lid is open, I can wake the laptop via keyboard or mouse.

I confirmed the same behavior even without an external display - same exact problem - I can only wake the laptop if the lid is closed by opening the lid and pressing the power button.  If the lid is open, wake from sleep works fine via USB.

December 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Thank you for your response. I am researching on the issue; will update you soon.

December 17th, 2012 03:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Apologies for the delay; it is taking longer than I expected. I am researching on the issue and need some more time; will keep you posted.

Thank you for your patience; Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

December 21st, 2012 01:00

Hi chiefwigms,

I tried to perform the same function on another laptop; and could not produce the desired result. I have been researching on the issue and came across a case with a similar situation. You may want to refer to that link: http://bit.ly/TFm8vV
Note: Please notice the last post in the thread; it talks about this being a 'design feature' in laptops (for safety and battery conservation)

I have raised the issue to the 'engineering team' for more clarification; will keep you posted.

Please share the following details for further analysis:
- Current BIOS version installed in the system
- Current 'Display driver version' (Integrated/Discrete)

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on 'Friends' tab at the top and then click on 'Request to Review' and finally click on 'Accept' button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on 'Inbox' to respond to the message and provide the 'required detail' so I may share the information with the 'engineering team' for further research. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Do reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to assist.

2 Posts

December 21st, 2012 06:00

Saurabh,

I have been following these posts since I have the identical issue and have tried the same things and cannot wake my new insprion 17R from sleep mode with the lid closed and the laptop hooked up to a monitor. I will follow the link you sent in your last post in hope that I can have a eurecka moment. I will continue to check this thread incase your engineering team comes up with a solution.

thanks for the effort.

12 Posts

December 21st, 2012 11:00

Hey Saurabh -

Intel HD Graphics 4000 is 8.15.10.2712

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M is 9.18.13.707

BIOS is A11

I used both:

Video_Intel_W74_A02_Setup-WP8X9_ZPE.exe

Geforce_Video_NV_W74_A02_Setup_J2DCH_ZPE.exe

for the driver installs.

I'm almost certain that this problem will require a BIOS tweak to the "Enable USB Wake" feature - I've had prior laptops that didn't have any problems doing this at all.  Additionally, the excuse that "its a design feature" is poor - why would docking stations have been so prevalent, if you weren't able to wake a closed laptop that was sleeping?

Thanks for your help so far

12 Posts

December 21st, 2012 11:00

Actually - the NVIDIA file I used for the install was Video_Nvidia_W78_64_A03_Setup_M3N33_ZPE.exe (copied the wrong file name).  The version is still the same  (NVIDIA lists the version as 307.07)

2 Posts

December 21st, 2012 14:00

Totally agree, in fact we have laptops at work (dell -latitudes) that use a docking station and external monitor and they can be waken from sleep via keyboard or mouse with the lid closed. There are some that cannot so it must be a setting. unfortunately without admin priv. you I cannot view the settings to understand what makes it work.

No Events found!