Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 3rd, 2012 09:00

Inspiron 17R SE 7720 won't wake from sleep when lid is closed via usb keyboard/mouse

So I have an Inspiron 17R SE 7720 that has all the latest drivers with BIOS A11 (Win 7 Ultimate x64)...  I have all the power settings configured for correctly for sleep (no hybernate), however no matter what I try, I can't get the laptop to wake when the lid is closed via USB keyboard.

I'm using Logitech's Wave MK560 combo (unifying receiver) - both the keyboard/mouse have the wake option enabled in their hardware settings.  I also have wake from USB enabled in the BIOS.

The interesting thing is that if I put the computer to sleep with the lid open, I can make it sleep/wake it from the Logitech devices.  With the lid closed, I can only make it sleep - the only way to wake it up is to open the lid and press the power button.

Anyone know of a fix to this?

Cliffs Notes:

Lid Open : CAN sleep/wake from USB Keyboard/Mouse

Lid Closed : Can ONLY sleep - won't wake unless I open Lid&press power button

51 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 17:00

Thanks Saurabh, some progress at least. Hopefully we don't have to wait until its been fixed on all the affected models before its released for the Inspiron 7720. I wonder how widespread this will turn out to be.

51 Posts

January 27th, 2013 23:00

I notice a new BIOS A12 is out as of mid January, however the list of fixes does not include this problem so I assume we  should wait a little longer for this particular fix?

January 29th, 2013 03:00

@chiefwigms / fpiraino / fjupp,

Have received an update on the case.

The problem duplicated itself in the lab. 'Product Group Team' will work on the next 'BIOS release' to cover this issue. Expected date for the next 'BIOS release' is likely to be in the month of May' 2013. You may want to check 'Dell Support Website' for the download at around that time.

Thank you for the patience and co-operation; appreciate it.

51 Posts

January 29th, 2013 16:00

Ouch... a 3-4 month wait for a fix is quite a while, but I guess its good that it has at least been put in motion now and the problem has been replicated. Thanks for your help Saurabh. :)

12 Posts

January 29th, 2013 16:00

Not a fan of the wait, but at least Dell will hopefully fix it - most other vendors probably wouldn't have even acknowledged it.  Thanks for the support!

January 31st, 2013 04:00

@chiefwigms / fpiraino / fjupp,

Thank you for being so patient and co-operative; appreciate it.

12 Posts

March 5th, 2013 19:00

Hey Saurabh - any updates?

March 9th, 2013 18:00

Hi chiefwigms,

Latest BIOS version on 'Dell Support website' for 'Inspiron 7720' is still 'A12'. A new 'BIOS' release (for the system models involved in this issue) is likely to be posted on 'Dell Support website' in 'May 2013'.

Thank you for the patience and support; appreciate it.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

51 Posts

March 21st, 2013 22:00

Excellent news, the A13 BIOS update does appear to have fixed the no wake on lid closed issue, I can now wake the laptop from my wireless keyboard and mouse when then lid is closed. Why on earth would the release notes not mention that this has been fixed in the BIOS update? Transparency is a good thing and customers will appreciate it.

Anyway, our perseverance paid off finally.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2013 22:00

Yup - works here too! Finally!!!

1 Message

March 22nd, 2013 00:00

Yes, works fine for me too! Also works from USB-hub.

51 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 04:00

Can I suggest to a Dell rep that they address the negative reviews at www.cnet.com/.../4852-3121_7-35412268.html and respond to those reviews with details on the updated BIOS fix. Was going to do it for you but dont want to have to sign up with CNET to do it.

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 17:00

Can someone publish BIOS and wireless keyboard HW setting to fix this problem now we have BIOS A13?

51 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 17:00

Just a little further info regarding powered USB hubs, if your USB wireless keyboard/mouse is connected to one and  you switch off power to the hub after the laptop has entered sleep mode then it will lose connection and you wont be able to wake the computer even after you power the hub back on again. So if you have a hub on your monitor for instance you will not be able to power the monitor down completely and retain the wake on USB function (unless it has a hub that stays powered even when the monitor is off or is bus powered). My Dell monitor turns off power to its hub when I switch off the screen via the front panel switch.

Likewise, if you remove the wireless keyboard dongle from the laptop whilst it is asleep for whatever reason (to use it with another PC or to carry the laptop in a bag for instance) it will not enable the PC to wake after inserting it again.

I suspect those issues are unlikely to be able to be rectified and I understand that this is likely a hardware limitation. Just thought I would mention it for those that come across those scenarios.

51 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 06:00

Go into your BIOS settings after rebootoing:

Choose "Advanced" tab, then "USB Wake Support (enabled)

Save BIOS setting and boot into windows

Open Windows Control Panel and select Power Options icon.

If you are using Windows 8 you should see a menu at the left with an item that reads "Choose what closing the lid does"

Change the option "When I close the lid" to "Do nothing" for both battery and plugged in modes (or just plugged in if you prefer)

Save the changes.

You may also need to go into your Device manager and make sure that your wireless mouse and keyboard are set to "allow this device to wake the computer" under the Power Management tab when you select each of those devices in your Device Manager. You may wish to just make the keyboard wake the PC and not the mouse.

Its likely to be similar for Windows 7.

No Events found!