Highlighted
dx5
1 Nickel

Inspiron 17R SE - Backlit Keyboard

Jump to solution

Inspiron 17R SE (7720): Is it possible to manually enable/disable the backlit keyboard ? Is it possible to program it via software driver ?

0 Kudos
18 Replies

Re: Inspiron 17R SE - Backlit Keyboard

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the Community. The F6 key is  - Keyboard back light on/off and brightness control.

If you are using the Function keys. Press < Fn >< F6 > once to turn on the keyboard back light. Press < Fn >< F6 > second time to decrease the brightness of the keyboard back light and pressing < Fn >< F6 > for the third time turns off the keyboard back light.

Thank you.

dx5
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for this information. Would appreciate it if the more detailed functionality was in a product document. This helps to make decisions for a purchase much easier and faster and there are no negative surprises afterwards.

0 Kudos
asdf6
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have just bought the Special Edition 17 Inspiron. Backlit keyboard does not work. Does this mean it was not fitted even though it is in the specs?

0 Kudos
TigerSpace
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have just bought the Special Edition 17 Inspiron. Backlit keyboard does not work. Does this mean it was not fitted even though it is in the specs?

Just unpacked our 17R SE (7720)  <fn><f6>  simultaneously does work here.

0 Kudos
spoonflames
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue 

I ran BacklitKB.exe found on my laptop and it states "unable to detect Backlit Keyboard"

The item is also missing from Windows Mobility Center, which only appears if the hardware is detected.

Therefore i assume the hardware is faulty. Or there is some driver missing. Unable to locate any driver for this, i have searched until the cows came home!

Please advise

0 Kudos
spoonflames
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Furthermore, I have purchased the official backlit keyboard for Inspiron 17R SE with Backlit ability so know i am using the correct hardware

0 Kudos
Xpender666
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the 17R 7720 SE with the regular keyboard. Do you know if I can replace it with the lighted one if it will work? and where can I buy that keyboard. tx

0 Kudos
dx5
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

@: Yes you can order it from dell (you can order any single part of your notebook from dell), you can also order any keyboard layout you want that is available. I took the illuminated us international one and I like it. Just be careful during assembly to not damage to hooks that hold the keyboard back. there are 2 cables to attach. In fact it's better to use a slim  plastic bolt / pen and no common tools like screw drivers to not damage the palm rest and keyboard.

@ : check if you've got the illuminated one (icon on f6 key). it's not part of the default package, you have to buy it explicitly during order process  (phone).

@   : where's the backlitkb.exe from? can't find it.

0 Kudos
asdf6
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Icon is present on F6. Icon for backlit NOT present in Windows Mobility Center. Light does not work. Dell have been very helpful and a technician in New Zealand asked to come around and look at it. Dell online say I need a new keyboard; I thought a download could solve the problem. I have been away, so have not met the technician. Suggest you email Dell and get them to send a technician to your house to fix it.

0 Kudos