Highlighted
adonnaru1
1 Nickel

Inspiron 17R Special Edition Memory

Jump to solution

Can the laptop handle 2 8GB dimms for a total of 16 instead of how it is sold with 8. The laptop would be viable but the memory is holding it back.

0 Kudos
39 Replies

Re: Inspiron 17R Special Edition Memory

Jump to solution

Hi adonnaru,

Welcome to the community.

Inspiron™ 7720/17R (SE) supports a maximum of 8 GB system memory. There are 2 slots on the motherboard where you can install the memory chips and each slot can have a Maximum of 4 GB each.

Inspiron™ 7720/17R (SE) has 2 SODIMM memory slots which support:

• DDR3 DIMM at 1333 MHz with Sandy Bridge Processors

• DDR3 DIMM at 1600 MHz with Ivy Bridge Processors

Let me know in case there are any other concerns. Glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

Dell Social Media Responder

http://www.facebook.com/Dell

http://twitter.com/#%21dell

Thanks & Regards
Chiranjeev S
#iwork fordell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

adonnaru1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I here you but 8GB DDR3 DIMM at 1600 MHZ are available but the motherboard won't support them or is there some other restriction.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the community.

Well, Dell does not recommend 2 sticks of 8 GB RAM each installed in this system as that may cause a motherboard failure. However installing 8 GB, 1600 MHZ chips may or may not work.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

Thanks & Regards
Chiranjeev S
#iwork fordell 
To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/YBlak6

adonnaru1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. In this day with more power users and demanding apps such as video processing Dell should have made this laptop at a minimum of 16GB since the ivy bridge I7 can support 32. Oh well I guess I'll buy a Toshiba.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi adonnaru,

Thank you for your reply. Well, Inspiron computers fall under "Every Day Computing" category. In case you are looking for high end configuration computer, I would suggest you to check Dell's XPS or Alienware systems.

You may have a look at the following link-

www.dell.com/.../pd

Thanks & Regards

Dell_Chiranjeev_S

Thanks & Regards
Chiranjeev S
#iwork fordell 

aeronDG
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dell_Chiranjeev_S, please accept my friend request. I need help regarding Dell Stage. I want to download it. It's not installed in my system.

0 Kudos
Mac II
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I also was looking at this model laptop..... but didnt purchase it because of its memory limitations.  Probably a simple bios revision would  remedy this problem and enable it to address and support 16gb because the other components would definetly support additional memory  ie.....O.S.  windows 7 pro 64 bit 32gb, I-7 processor  32gb, that only leaves the motherboard.....for compatapatability,addressabilityand supportability of additional memory.  I quess the real question is the motherboard ability to support and address additional memory  on this model only limited by bios ?

Mac

0 Kudos
Mac II
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Has anyone sucessfully upgraded the memory to 16 gb on a inspiron 7720/17R SE yet?   on other post I see that someone with a  15R SE /7520 was sucessfully able to do so using corsair ddr3-1600mhz (cmsx16gx3m2a 1600c10)  Would like to verify with someone that has already sucessfully  completed this memory upgrade 16gb on the inspiron 17R SE/ 7720  prior to purchasing this model    also has anyone found a 9 cell compatable battery  for the 17R SE

thanks

Mac

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
innogen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I bought the 15R SE/7520 with 8GB (2x4GB) of memory installed. I upgraded it to 16GB (2x8GB). Both Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) and SiSoftware Sandra (a leading benchmark tool) reported the system memory as 16GB. In fact SiSoftware Sandra recommended a maximum installable memory of 32GB.

However, the BIOS reported the total memory as 6394MB. The numeral 1 is missing. It should read 16394MB.

Dell should provide a BIOS update to allow the installation of memory in excess of 8GB.

0 Kudos