Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2011 10:00

Inspiron 17R defaults to Intel Graphics instead of NVIDIA Card

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 17R (N7110) with the optional NVIDIA GT525M card.

I did a clean install of Windows and have successfully installed both the Intel graphics drivers (required by the NVIDIA software before it can install) and the NVIDIA software.

Both video cards show up in device manager and I can use the NVIDIA control panel and change settings, but when I look at the advanced settings for the card that is powering m pc (under screen resolution) it is the Intel onboard graphics and not the NVIDIA card.

Anyone have an idea on what I did wrong in the process?  I have tried to disable the Intel card but that doesn't seem to get my system to default to using the NVIDIA card.

thx

904 Posts

September 8th, 2011 11:00

Hi,

Intel Graphics card is used when the system requires minimal graphics performance.

The system would switch to Nvidia automatically when the Graphics usage goes beyond than what Intel can handle.

So you did not do anything wrong :)

This behavior is set by default, although there is an option in BIOS to switch only to NVIDIA , again not sure if your model would have such an option, that option is not present on all models.

If you dont have that option then you would have to manage with the existing scenario, if you do have the option then i would say You are a lucky one :)

Cheers !

2 Posts

September 12th, 2011 14:00

thanks for the insight!  Just wanted to make sure I was taking advantage of the card that is installed in my machine.

No Events found!