Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2014 06:00

Inspiron 17r 5737 Graphics Driver Issues

Hi,

My Inspiron 17R is having serious problems with graphics drivers. I'm running Windows 8.1. With the driver from Dell's website, it just won't switch to the AMD graphics card, any game I try it with has terrible performance.

I've tried the following drivers from AMD:

14.4 - fixes graphics, but breaks sleep/shutdown

13.11 - fixes graphics, shutdown works, sleep works when closing/opening the laptop, but sleep doesn't work when sleeping due to computer being idle

13.9 - fixes graphics/sleep/shutdown, but after shutting down, the next time the machine starts up it will blue screen with VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR, but it will start fine after a restart

It seems pretty disgraceful that Dells own driver is completely useless? Anyone have a workaround for this, or are Dell working on a fix?

437 Posts

May 21st, 2014 08:00

• Run AMD CleanUp Utility: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx
  • Reboot
  • Install this Chipset: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01396329M/8/Chipset_Intel_W8_X03_A00_Setup-PJ3CT_ZPE.exe 
  • Instal this Intel Video driver: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01699811M/17/Video_Intel_W84_A00_Setup-C7NDJ_ZPE.exe 
  • Reboot
  • Install this AMD video driver: http://www2.ati.com/DriverS/mobile/13-9_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

Next time you reboot, everything should be fine.

May 21st, 2014 08:00

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. I've tried 13.9 before and had problems with blue screening, though I haven't installed that chipset, so unless windows update did it for me then maybe that's the problem.

Cheers

May 28th, 2014 05:00

Forgot to reply to this before, but it seems to be a combination of that chipset driver (which is not the same one the dell support section gives me) and the 13.9 AMD driver.

Thanks very much!

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 14:00

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

If you are in another country and the link for the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility doesn't work for you (like me, I am in Canada), I had to search for while before a guy on the phone at Dell found it for me, to save you the time and the pain I had to go through, here the link to download it: 

http://www.ngohq.com/news/24778-amd-clean-uninstall-utility-1-4-0-0-a.html

After you download this file, run it to uninstall everything from AMD.

After this, sleep wakes up, video games still work, everything seems to be great. Thank you so much
Shibbys, Dell should hire you.

437 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 17:00

Ha!

Where should i send my CV to? :(

Thanks guys, i'm glad this info could help someone :)

2 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 18:00

I'm not sure where you could send your resume, you might have to move to the Philippines though, be careful =P

1 Message

August 13th, 2014 05:00

You are the best!

I was this close to returning the whole thing for a refund. Dell (and MS) owes you a customer.

czm

Dear Dell reps, this issue has been around for 6+ months and still the only solution to this is manually installing hand picked old drivers. Did I miss something? Is there an official fix?

1 Message

February 25th, 2015 09:00

Next time you reboot, everything should be fine.

I have the same computer and on dell's website it scans my computer and says it needs to update my graphics drivers so I click allow but i keeps saying that it failed the update and I even tried what you suggested and that didn't work either. Yeah whenever i play games like titanfall I have massive graphical glitches like textures stretching across my screen and invisible guns and people in game told me to go to this forum that it might help me. Intel told me to try one of there drivers that they made specifically for my type of graphics card so that people can actually play stuff but when i downloaded it and tried to launch it I get a message saying that the installation failed be cause of the manufacturers having there own custom drivers installed.

2 Posts

September 5th, 2015 07:00

Dell Inspriron 17R 5737, W8.1 regularly updated. W10 pending (waiting until I back up everything before risking it)

Hi, thanks to Shibby.

The conflict with AMD & Intel graphics on these laptops is annoying. Graphics seems well hidden. Hard to access adjustments (but I am no pc techie!) Some time back last year I had to sort out a glitch where I kept getting a pop up saying something like  "AMD Graphics missing". Can't recall how it was solved but it came back this week due to a very similar problem to the OP.

I'vealways been able to "project" as W8.1 insist on calling it - onto my TV - i.e. dual monitor facility - then after a series of annoying internet problems the laptop crashed. After that it lost dual capability. When I clicked Fn + F1, a note said someting like "you do not have this function".  I then updated drivers etc but no difference. Tried Shibby's links & they no longer work but they did usefully lead me in the right direction. 

Went to AMD site & searched for AMD clean-up utility. In the end I simply followed instructions to totally uninstall AMD Catalyst centre (Clean Uninstall) After doing this it was very slow to restart - in fact I went & did something else & it was still restarting over an hour later...thinking "I've wrecked my laptop"  I just turned it off & on again & with a slightly too slow boot-up it was good to go & has started normally since.

I have completely regained dual monitor capability. I didn't install Shibby's "chipset" or Intel & AMD video drivers, although perhaps the drivers I'd previously updated were the correct ones.  I don't use or have power hungry PC games so I don't know if what I've done would be detrimental to that but so far, it works for me.

1 Message

December 4th, 2015 09:00

I had working system (win 8.1) for a year, but it became broken after some Windows update. I tried different combinations of drivers(chipset/intel video/amd video) but no succes - blue screen after sleep mode. Also tried old combinations that were succesful previously - same problem again. 

Can anybody help me to install correct versions of drivers?

No Events found!