Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2015 03:00

Inspiron 17r SE Freeze/Buzz

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this?

Basically a few days ago my laptop has started to freeze randomly and makes a kind of robotic buzz sound.. This happens when I play music/youtube videos.. It also does it when I'm playing a game as well..

It only seems to do it when audio is involved.. Laptop is running fine as I initially thought it might be overheating but I've done diagnostics on the temperature and all is normal.

I've checked on Dell's support page and all my drivers are up to date.. The BIOS update that's available warns me not install as it's the same version and Dell do not recommend using the same update.

I'm at a loss.. The laptop is only about 2 years old. I've tried everything I can think of but just can't get rid of this freeze/buzz..

Thank you.

7 Posts

February 13th, 2015 06:00

Well, I was just surfing the web for symptoms connected to recent changes in my system that could have caused the problems. The latest Windows update was one candidate, and the other one was the automatic update of SupportAssist Agent. And when I stumbled upon the thread here in the Dell SupportAssist group, that confirmed that SupportAssistant probably was the cause. Now I have uninstalled SupportAssist Agent, and the problems are gone.

By the way, did not uninstall Dell "SupportAssist" to start with, only "SupportAssist Agent", and that seems to be enough.  I really don't know if there is any reason to keep "SupportAssist", but now that the problems are gone I think I will wait to see how DELL deals with these problems.

February 13th, 2015 13:00

I can 100% confirm that deleting the support assistant works!!! It's a definite fix! :emotion-2:

Thank you so much!!!  Been playing a movie and mp3's for over an hour and no freezing/buzzing anymore..

Thank you!!!!

3 Posts

February 14th, 2015 11:00

Thanks so much.  I had the same problem, beginning on my 2 year old 17R two weeks ago as well, and I also thought it was a Windows update.   

I was up 'til 05;00 this morning, changing around drivers, turning off programs and services....but hadn't gotten to the DELL stuff....who woulda thought?

I uninstalled the "new" Dell Support Assist Agent....and presto...no more PROBLEM!!!

You saved me a LOT of pulled out hair and sleep.

Thanks again.

1 Message

February 15th, 2015 14:00

100% this is the resolution. On 2/11 installed the latest Dell Support Assist Agent and had the exact same buzzing/freezing issue as reported in this thread's posts. Went down the same "it must be due to a MSFT update" path, replaced drivers, etc. 

After reading this thread today, uninstalled Dell Support Assist Agent only and... problem is SOLVED.

Inspiron 17R. Dell, are you listening? This is the answer to the problem detailed in this thread.

1 Message

February 15th, 2015 15:00

Hi

I've never responded to one of these before, but I am moved to say how grateful I am.  You have saved me HOURS.  And how bad the silence from Dell has been. It's obviously a general problem. Uninstalling just Support Assist Agent does the trick with nothing else.  Good work there. That's clever research.  Thank you.  It's only 26 MB I see, not like the full Support Assist which is 196MB and may be doing something useful..

The problem I found was watching movies, the audio buzzed and skipped and got out of sync with the video content, making the film unwatchable. I've lost a couple of download iTunes  rentals this way.  A pain and an expense.

I was just about to desert and get a Mac... fed up with Windows / Dell issues

Thanks

1 Message

February 23rd, 2015 11:00

Worked just like you said! No more buzzing! Thanks!

1 Message

March 6th, 2015 15:00

Thanks a heap. Uninstalling the"SupportAssist" & the "SupportAssist Agent". I uninstalled the "SupportAssist Agent before I read I didn't have to. Do I need the "SupportAssist Agent?

7 Posts

February 13th, 2015 03:00

I have the same problem, seems to be connected with Dell SupportAssistant:
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/dell_integrated_support/f/4551/t/19618119

I run windows 7 on an DELL XPS 15 l502x, and have the same problem since yesterday 12 feb 2015. When playing or streaming video or audio, I get frequent short video freezes for a second or less, together with a buzzing sound from the speaker. I am going to uninstall SupportAssist Agent and see if this solves the problem.

February 13th, 2015 05:00

Now that's very interesting.. May I ask what made you think it was that supprtassist agent that's causing the issue?

February 13th, 2015 07:00

I am so praying that I have this SupportAssist agent on my machine. Really can't carry on with my PC doing that noise :(

12 Posts

February 13th, 2015 07:00

Just uninstalling the new SupportAssist Agent seems to solve the problem: Dell Inspiron 17R SE.

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 09:00

I have the same exact issues as well, It is depicted in this video

Any help?

EDIT

Issue SOLVED by uninstalling SupportAssist and SupportAssistAgent

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 11:00

I started experiencing this issue earlier this week on my Inspiron 17R. I appreciate the recommendation to uninstall SupportAssistAgent. I will have to give it a try if there is no better solution coming from Dell soon.

I can add a few other observations on the issue. I timed the frequency of the buzzing instances with a stopwatch and found that the buzzing occurs at one minute intervals, regardless of what player I use for the audio. I have tried audio sources online and from my hard drive and it makes no difference. I tried turning off my WiFi, when playing audio from the hard drive, in case something accessing the internet was causing the problem. Again, it made no difference.

2 Posts

February 13th, 2015 22:00

I will also confirm that Support Assistant was the problem!  Whew - I thought I was going to have to start replacing hardware!

Great detective work, guys!   THANKS!!

1 Message

February 13th, 2015 22:00

Thank you!! Perfect...

Dell, are you listening? 

No Events found!