Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2015 03:00

Inspiron 17r SE Freeze/Buzz

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this?

Basically a few days ago my laptop has started to freeze randomly and makes a kind of robotic buzz sound.. This happens when I play music/youtube videos.. It also does it when I'm playing a game as well..

It only seems to do it when audio is involved.. Laptop is running fine as I initially thought it might be overheating but I've done diagnostics on the temperature and all is normal.

I've checked on Dell's support page and all my drivers are up to date.. The BIOS update that's available warns me not install as it's the same version and Dell do not recommend using the same update.

I'm at a loss.. The laptop is only about 2 years old. I've tried everything I can think of but just can't get rid of this freeze/buzz..

Thank you.

1 Message

February 14th, 2015 23:00

My XPS15 L502X has been experiencing audio stuttering the past couple of days. I tried reinstalling/updating drivers to no avail. Finally, out of desperation, I tried googling "xps15 stuttering" instead of "xps15 audio stuttering". What a difference just one word makes.  Indirectly lead me to this thread, which is a god send. So just chiming in to confirm that uninstalling "SupportAssist Agent" works. No more stuttering, yay!

Thanks a million!

P.S: I actually uninstalled both "SupportAssist" and "SupportAssist Agent". Don't know if this makes any difference.

1 Message

February 15th, 2015 01:00

Hi, 

I have to same thing. But how do i uninstall the support assist? 

I can't find it. (I have a inspiron 7720)

Thanks 

2 Posts

What version of Windows are you running?

1 Message

Hi guys, I have tried to fix the issue as well but uninstalling both Dell SupportAssistant and the DellSupportAssistant Agent didn't work-- I'm still having audio issues with buzzing and stuttering sounds during audio playback. I don't know what to do. I have uninstalled the support applications yet the problem still persists. 

3 Posts

February 15th, 2015 06:00

I am running Windows 8.1.     To uninstall Dell Support Assistant Agent, right click on the "Windows" symbol at the left of your 'Tray" on the Screen, select the top item, which should be "Programs and Features", then right click on "Dell support Assistant Agent"...and select "uninstall"  That;s it.

5 Posts

February 15th, 2015 10:00

2 Posts

February 15th, 2015 19:00

It worked fine for me, thanks a lot!

12 Posts

February 16th, 2015 07:00

Holy *** I thought my machine was breaking! This fixed my stuttering too!! So happy!! TYTYTYTYTY!! Wtf are DELL doing with that Support Assist Agent?!?! 

1 Message

February 17th, 2015 09:00

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!  I was ready to buy a new laptop!  I ended up uninstalling both "SupportAssist" and "SupportAssist Agent", only because I inadvertently uninstalled "SupportAssist" first.  I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on Inspiron 17

1 Message

February 17th, 2015 20:00

I had the same issue, and it was really bugging me during the Montreal/Detroit game on Tuesday. At first I thought it was just another *** signal (Those clowns at Rogers!), but when I got the same thing on CNN I got worried. As luck would have it this roughly coincided with a Bell Fibe TV install. So, I ended up yelling at Bell instead of Dell! But then I played a video off my hard disk. Oops! TIme to get mad at Microsoft! Who knew how many of my drivers were out of date! But...the problem persisted. Thank you very much folks, I was pulling my hair out.

1 Message

February 18th, 2015 15:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!  I had the same problem for several days and neither the DELL premium phone support nor a DELL engineer who came out and just replaced the sound card, graphics card, speakers and who knows what other parts, had any idea where this came from and how to resolve it.
Thank you again!

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 14:00

Uninstalling the support assistants didn't work for me either. A solution on another forum did solve it though:

Control Panel -> Device Manager -> System Devices -> Right Click on [Dell Diag Control Device] -> Disable

Posted by 'ung' on http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/61670-stutter-freeze-during-video-music-games-help.html

I edit photos and having the mouse pointer stall and then skip across the screen was getting pretty annoying.

72 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 04:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I started experiencing this problem a few weeks ago.  I did notice the new program "Support Assist Agent,"  but didn't make a connection.  I did NOT install that.  I guess it was one of the automatic updates.

I uninstalled it and played a game.  No annoying blips or buzzes.  I did not uninstall Support Assist -- just the Agent.  

What exactly is the purpose of the program?  Do I need it?  Should I uninstall that as well?

Thanks.

Janet in NJ

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 22:00

Uninstalling the Support Agent is not fixing the problem for me.

2 Posts

February 23rd, 2015 23:00

My mistake [in the above post]- I uninstalled the Dell Support Assist Agent and that fixed the problem.

Thanks to all that have contributed in this thread for your help!

Tom H

No Events found!