Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

24 Posts

November 10th, 2006 22:00

Inspiron 2500 Fn Key Functions Don't Work for Brightness, Contrast and Battery

I have an Inspiron 2500, running Windows ME.  I bought it used, reformatted the hard drive reinstalled the OS and Dell drivers.  Some of the Fn (blue) key combos don't work.  I've run Dell Diagnostics and all hardware appears to be OK.  I can adjust the brightness using the control panel applet, but would like to get this laptop running properly.  Can anyone help?

November 11th, 2006 09:00

You will need DellQuickset.

24 Posts

November 11th, 2006 17:00

Nick,  Thanks for the reply - According to Dell's Quickset description, that is indeed what I need!  However, the Dell support webpages indicate that Quickset is not compatible with an Inspiron 2500/WinME computer.  So, I am reluctant to try it.  Bill

24 Posts

I don't know if it worked before.  The previous owner had installed Win XP, but it didn't have enough memory to run XP very well so I installed Win ME before I had ever tried the Fn Key combinations functions. 

Right, I would download it, did you have that before?

November 12th, 2006 08:00

I geuss you should contact Dell for the CD's

March 23rd, 2009 16:00

I HAVE THE ANSWER!!! PLEASE READ AND COPY TO OTHER FORUMS! I have a Dell Laptop running Windows XP. Like most of you, the Fn + Down would dim the screen, however, Fn + Up would not brighten it. This is a bug that dell/intel cannot fix. There are patches that utilize linux, however, if you want the easiest way to fix the problem this is it: DOWNLOAD DARKADAPTED 2.3.4 BUILD 208. You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DarkAdapted-Download-5641.html This is the latest version, but if the link doesn't work, look for a newer version. This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at You can find it here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/DarkAdapted-Download-5641.html This is the latest version, but if the link doesn't work, look for a newer version. This program fixes the bug and allows you to adjust all the video options from the same menu. You can email your thanks and praise to me at 

No Events found!