Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 24th, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 3147 - Battery draining quickly when lid is closed

Hello,

After updating the BIOS for my Inspiron 3147 laptop, I have noticed that if I close the lid (in Windows 10 it is configured to enter Sleep mode) with my laptop at full charge battery, nothing happens when I press the power button if I had left my laptop unplugged from the power adapter.

In this case I have to plug my laptop in the power adapter and wait to be charged. This wasn't happening before the BIOS upgrade I did in August 2016.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 24th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

I’d advise that you load defaults in the BIOS. Please follow the steps mentioned below to load the BIOS to defaults and then run the diagnostics again on the system.

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. When prompted during POST, press the key to enter the setup screen.
  3. On the System Setup screen, press the key.
  4. Press the key on Yes to Load Optimized Defaults and restart the computer.

Also, I would suggest you to reinstall the Video card driver on the system. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the Video card driver from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

In addition, I would suggest you to run a thorough test on the battery. You can download Support assist from the link below and run the PC CHECKUP on Battery to check for issues

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

4 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 08:00

Ravi,

My laptop already has the latest video driver and BIOs updates.

Actually, the issue is that when I close the lid, the laptop goes into Sleep mode but when I open it, the display never turns back on. I can hear the fan and the HDD making noises for minutes, but no display.

As a last resort, I have to press the power off button, and restart my laptop. This means the sleep mode in my laptop is not working at all.

Thanks

1 Message

October 3rd, 2017 19:00

Hi,

have exact same issue...

Had any solution to this from the time being posted?

Thanks

/best

/javier

4 Posts

October 4th, 2017 12:00

Hi Javier,

I have never received any updates from Dell and my laptop still has this issue and it has become completely unusable. Really frustrating.

Thanks,

Will

No Events found!