Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

November 23rd, 2016 03:00

Inspiron 3521 won't start up

My laptop will only start up maybe 1 in 5 times at the moment.

When it doesn't work, it gets stuck before the dell splash screen with what sounds like a 'fizzing' or 'popping' sound every 3 seconds (It's not the usual bios beep codes) that will keep going for as long as I leave the laptop on. It it does start up okay, there are no errors and it boots into windows fine.

I've run the bios diagnostics (on one of the few occasions I could get to that stage) and it didn't find any faults.

Is this a system board failure? Or something I might be able to troubleshoot further?

Many thanks.

November 23rd, 2016 20:00

Hi Phildavidson101

Thanks for writing to us.

When did the issue start? Was there any hardware or software changes done recently?

You can try remove the memory modules and then try to power on the machine with one at a time and check if it makes any difference.

instructions can be found on support.euro.dell.com--enter tag# --submit--manuals

Is it possible to record the sound and send us as an attachment or a link.

Also when it powers up fine please update the BIOS as well from support.euro.dell.com.

Do provide us the system tag# and also confirm the name the system is registered under by

clicking on my name in blue and then select send a private message. Also let us know the contact

number and email address.

Regards

November 24th, 2016 01:00

Thanks for the reply. I'm getting an error when sending a PM, so have replied here.

The problem started about a week ago, and there have been no recent hw or sw changes.

It's only got one memory module, so I'm not able to swap it out but I have tried reseating in both slots (no change to the symptoms) and also starting up with no memory - in which case it it failed to start up but with no sounds.

Here's the sound file. I hope it works: /cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/recording20161124085333.mp3

It has the latest bios (A14) and is registered to me. The service tag is

November 24th, 2016 21:00

Hi, Thank you for the details and link, the sound looks to be coming from the hard drive . Do you mean there is no popping sound without the memory or you mean no beeps (no memory beep) ??

Could you please remove the hard drive from the system and observe if it still emits the popping sound.

Is it possible for you to try a different hard drive on this machine or this hard drive on another machine?

December 18th, 2016 04:00

Thank you for your reply and sorry for being late to answer.

To clarify my previous answer, if I start it up with no RAM at all then I get no response at all (neither the 'popping' sound, or the usual BIOS beeps).

I don't have a spare HHD, but I've booted up with no HD (having put the RAM back in!), and I still get the same popping sound. So the noise itself is coming from the motherboard.

Can I assume the next stage is a replacement MB (assuming it's economically viable)?

Thanks again for all your help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2016 08:00

These run between $150-300 depending on video type and CPU -- if you can replace the system yourself and don't have a high-end CPU and GPU, it may be worth trying.  If you have an i7 and/or discrete video or have to pay for the labor to replace the board, the cost will exceed 50% of what a new system costs - meaning a replacement system may be a better idea.

December 24th, 2016 04:00

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look at the MB replacement and see how we get on. Thanks again.

No Events found!