Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 3531 no longer recognizes external monitor

My stock Dell Inspiron 3531 laptop (circa December 2014) suddenly no longer recognizes external monitors connected via HDMI.

I have been using a couple of external monitors (one at a time, of course) for as long as I can remember.

The changes I have recently made are an upgrade of the BIOS from A01 to A03 (in an attempt to fix a battery issue). And, of course, monthly MS security updates.

I have been running Windows 8.1 for a long time (initially shipped with Window 8).

To rule out the BIOS upgrade, I back-flashed to A01 (and still could not get the external monitor to work).

To rule out monitor and cable issues, I connected them to another laptop (no issues).

My graphic card is Intel(R) HD Graphics w/ details as follows (ac. to GPU-Z tool):

www.techpowerup.com/.../hd-graphics

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 31st, 2017 23:00

If you use the advanced options in Intel or Advanced display options is there anyway to attempt to force the monitor to be discovered? Unfortunately I am thinking this sounds like a bad port, but have you also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the integrated graphics card drivers (I know you mention BIOS but sorry if I missed that part). 

Lastly does the system still have warranty? If not, an alternative to the port is mayble looking at an adapter (USB to HDMI etc.) vs replacing the board, but regardless let me know if uninstalling/reinstalling the integrated graphics driver helps/changes anything. 

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!