Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 4th, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 3542 no sound from internal speakers

Hi,

Dell Inspiron 3542

Windows 10 Home 64bit (1703)

I was watching (and hearing), videos with the laptop at rest on top of my desk and suddenly sound went mute. I check all the typical culprits (Volume Mixer, Playback Devices, Dell Audio Sound Manager, downloaded and reinstalled latest driver, etc), but no sound. Sound does work with headphones and when I insert them the system automatically detects them and adjust volume. When I remove them the system quickly sense that and adjust the volume. So I came here and read Jimco's FAQ. Followed all the recommendations and ran the pre-boot assessment test. Sadly I can not hear the 8 tones. So now, what are my options to fix the problem?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 4th, 2017 13:00

Hi. If ther laptop is still under warranty, contact tech support for service.

5 Posts

August 4th, 2017 15:00

Hi Jimco. Thanks for the FAQ very helpfull.

The computer is not under warranty. What are my options to fix the problem?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 5th, 2017 05:00

Either the connection is loose or the speakers have died. You can open the laptop and reseat the speaker cable plug, and if that doesn't fix it then replace the speakers. Easy to do  but a little time consuming.

The Inspiron 15 3542 Owner's Service Manual has pictures and step by step instructions for disassembling the laptop.

The parts-people have the speakers, and a video showing the entire procedure which will give you an idea of whether it's a job you want to tackle. The video also has a discount code.

5 Posts

August 13th, 2017 16:00

Hey they start working again!!!

I resigned to the fact of not having internal speakers and then, suddenly, they start working again.  I did nothing. They only problem is that the volume is very low. Again I check everything boost and all but the volume is low. As far as my ears tell me the sound is not distorted and I can hear all sound frequencies. The sound is not muffled, distorted or noisy.

No Events found!