Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2017 22:00

Inspiron 3721 HDMI has no signal

The HDMI port on my laptop does not work properly. Using a direct connection from the laptop to the TV, the TV receives no signal. A very poor signal is detected when using a VGA adapter.

9.4K Posts

January 24th, 2017 07:00

Hi planostanton,

Thanks for posting.

First, be sure you are using the correct HDMI cable.

Then right click on desktop and select "Personalize". Next click on "Display". You should see "connect to a projector" on the left. Select it then, select duplicate. Post back if you're still having difficulties.

January 24th, 2017 08:00

Thanks for the response.

The cable works fine. I have used it on other Inspiron laptops.

I have tried adjusting the display as suggested, but there is still no signal. I also took it in to the Geek Squad. They did the same thing and could not get it to work either.

9.4K Posts

January 25th, 2017 08:00

Hi planostanton,

Since you are out of warranty, then there's not much we can do.  We've offered all the free services we have.   You could contact the Dell Out of Warranty Department to get a repair estimate:

http://dell.to/2ktweCt

http://dell.to/2ktwgu5

or take it to a local computer repair shop.

Yep, have done all that. No signal at all.

I also tried Tech Support. Since I am out of warranty, all they did was send a link to updated the driver (which I had already tried). That didn't work either. IMO, tech support didn't seem interested at all.

Thanks.

9.4K Posts

Have you set the TV to receive the signal from the HDMI through the TV's Input source menu?  If so, have you tried the TV with another laptop?

If that's working, then there may be a problem with the connection to the laptop motherboard.  Please contact Tech Support for troubleshooting and possible repairs.  Thanks.

Thanks. I"ll give one of these a try.

No Events found!