Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 15th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 5010N momentatry screen dim

I have a year and a half old Inspiron 5010N and after about 5 minutes of being on (plugged in BTW) the screen goes dim for about 5 seconds and then comes back to full brightness. It only seems to do this once, then is fine for the rest of the use. Power setting is for "performance".

Any need to worry about an impending failure or any way to troubleshoot? It's just unnerving and doesn't seem right. Thanks.

3.3K Posts

March 15th, 2013 09:00

Hi jlandwehr61,

Follow below mentioned steps to isolate the issue:

I recommend you to remove the battery and disconnect the adapter, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power .Now put back the battery and connect the adapter and power on the computer and check if the issue persists.

Disconnect the battery from the computer and then check the performance on adapter.

Also, Set the Power plan to default:

• Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click on the Power Options icon.
  • Click on the Change plan settings link to the right of the power plan that you want to change the settings for.
  • Click on the Change advanced power settings link.
  • Click on Restore Plan Defaults.

Awaiting your response!

3.3K Posts

March 20th, 2013 17:00

Hi jlandwehr61,

I have read the post. I could see that you want to install the operating system with the help of recovery disks. Follow below mentioned steps to install Operating system:

Insert the Dell Recovery Disk in the CD or DVD drive while the computer is turned off. You can pop open the drive by inserting the end of a paper clip into the small hole on the front of the drive. Apply slight pressure to push the release button located inside the hole, and the drive door opens.

Boot the computer. In most cases, the computer senses the presence of the disk and immediately start the installation process. If the on-screen messages tell you the computer can't boot from this disk, or if the computer keeps booting to your old Windows desktop, you need to reset the boot order in your BIOS so the machine boots first from the CD, not the hard drive. You can enter your BIOS to set the boot order by pressing "F1," "F2" or "Delete" when your computer first begins to boot up. Make your changes, save them and then reboot.

Respond to the introductory questions that may pop up on the screen. In most cases, you are asked if you want to run the Dell Recovery program. Answer "Yes" or press "Enter" to continue with the recovery process. Be aware that in most cases the contents of your hard drive will be overwritten if you continue.

Monitor the progress of the reinstallation and answer any questions that may be posed to you during the process. The Dell Recovery Disk usually reinstalls Windows and then reinstalls any device drivers needed to fully operate the computer, including the Ethernet card, the monitor, the sound card and other drivers.

Remove the Dell Recovery Disk when prompted to do so by the program and then reboot. You may need to finish some recovery steps, such as activating or validating your copy of Microsoft Windows again when the computer is able to make an Internet connection. Once that hurdle is cleared, you can reinstall your software programs and any archived files you've saved on other media, such as CDs and flash drives.

Awaiting your response!

50 Posts

March 15th, 2013 11:00

I will try that solution out when I get home tonight and let you know. Thanks much for your reply, Rajesh!

50 Posts

March 17th, 2013 11:00

Rajesh, that seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't seen it happen in the past couple of days anyways. Do you know why that would cause the issue? I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks much for your help.

50 Posts

March 19th, 2013 18:00

Rajesh, I have an issue with my restore on the other PC from the 1545 forum today. Are you able to help me with it tonight?

3.3K Posts

March 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi jlandwehr61,

Glad to know that the issue is fixed on the computer. There might be an issue with the power settings when the computer is on battery. Now it’s been fixed as its set to default.

Please let me know if you have any other queries.

50 Posts

March 21st, 2013 08:00

Got a new HDD. Installed it, put in the Dell OS recovery disk and all is good. Thanks Rajesh!

No Events found!