Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 6th, 2009 01:00

Inspiron 5150 freez while booting at dell logo

It was working fine.I had a few tabs on my browser and on one tab I wanted to print a coupon.10-15Min. passed so it probably went into sleep mode on the coupon

by the time I got it hooked up to my printer in other room. Now I cannot get the screen back to print.It wouldn't show anything at all.I turned it off and forgot about

printing the coupon.A few hours later I tried to turn it on,it freezes when booting and stops at dell logo, it would only load 1/4 of the bar below where it says

inspiron 5150 series.I turned it off and on again this time it says:"  \system32\hal.dll "and it wouldn't go further.Turned it off and on again,this time

it says: " memory address line failure at 4FFE8000,read FEFEFEFE expecting 01010101 " .Turned it off and on again,this time the warning is:

"  memory write/read failure at 4FFE0000,read FE11FE11 expecting01010101 " What do all these mean??I took both ram memorys out and cleaned them ,put them

back in place.I still get the memory warnings!!! and when there is no warnings it just doesn't pass the 1/4way of loading bar. OS is windows XP pro.

I appreciate any advise.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 6th, 2009 08:00

You've likely two problems:  a failing hard drive and a bad memory module or mainboard socket.

Run the Dell diagnostics - F12 at powerup - including the extended tests on the hard drive and memory.  If one memory module fails, move it to the other socket.  Test again;  if it fails there, replace the module.  If the failure occurs with the other module in the socket that showed the initial failure, the socket is faulty.  Given the cost of a mainboard, that probably means a new system.

If the hard drive fails, replace it - you'll need a 2.5" 9.5 mm EIDE (NOT SATA) notebook drive, 120 G or smaller.

20 Posts

December 7th, 2009 00:00

I checked both memory modules in either sockets,nothing's changed.Holding Fn key with power ,dell logo starts loading almost half way, the screen turns black and

back to dell logo loading bar and it just keeps doing that. I checked power with F8 it doesn't go to safe mode either. the same with F12. I talked to dell technician,he

asked me to do the same tests and he thinks it's the hard drive.this is a Hitachi 160 GB ATA that I bought last summer to upgrade.I don't know if it still in warranty.I'll try to put the old hard drive to see if it works and I go from there.I don't understand why the hard drive which is not even 2 years old should break down this way!!!

Thanks anyway

20 Posts

December 14th, 2009 23:00

I tried another hard drive but still freezes at dell logo. I talked for about 50MIN. with dell tech. and we went through all different combination of  Fn,F12 and

power button keys with switching memory modules and with hard drive or without hard drive. We even threw in the Windows XP cd  but still wouldn't pass dell

logo and it just wouldn't boot!!! So he said it's %100 the motherboard which cost about $ 300 for just part. And he says if I pay $200 more I can buy a brand 

new laptop,but I told him I will never ever buy another dell ,that's it. I just feel so disappointed because I've already upgraded the hard drive,ram memory ,fan and

Ac adapter and it seems all have gone to waste!!

No Events found!