Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 00:00

Inspiron 5368 Fading Volume

I have bought an Inspiron 5368 last August 2016. It was working fine. However, yesterday the Speaker Volume suddenly fades and becomes very quiet when listening to audio.

It is very annoying. I have to restart the laptop to make it loud again. Even with a restart the sound fades again once I start playing audio.

I have tried solutions in the FAQ: en.community.dell.com/.../19994938

but none proved a solution.

Is there not a concrete fix for this? This is not good.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 14th, 2017 08:00

Have you been able to determine if there is a specific time delay associated with the fading?

Does the orientation of the speakers have any effect.  Such if you have them in Laptop mode, does it help if you change to Tent mode?

I will assume if you were to check the volume levels in the Volume Mixer on the speaker icon, the system volume shows as extremely low?

Does opening the Recording devices dialog window from the speaker icon have any effect..?  Can we assume your system only does this using internal speakers?  

Does keeping the volume around 30% or less have any effect, even on the time the speakers will play until fading.  Keep in mind, if some component is overheating, it may take a while to cool all the way down.

4 Posts

January 15th, 2017 00:00

The time delay is around 5 - 10 seconds after the music starts playing.

No, it happens regardless of orientation. I tried changing orientation of laptop (and also switching "Tablet Mode") to no avail.

No, if I check the Volume Mixer, ALL volumes are maxed out at 100.

Yes, it only happens with speakers. If I plug in headphones, headphones sound fine. Another thing is, if I plug-in headphones and plug-out, the music starts playing fine on speakers (max volume) but begins fading again after 5 - 10 seconds.

I haven't tried keeping the volume low yet, but will take note of that. Although that doesn't sound ideal, if I have to always keep the volume at around 50%. I am not maximizing then the features of the laptop.

1 Message

January 15th, 2017 04:00

I have the same audio problem with my new Dell Inspirion 7779. I have bought it at thje end of December 2016 and sound was working OK.

I have Windows 10 Pro. Now when I have installed Relatek audio drivers from Dell website or Relatek website my sound keep fading after few seconds of playing music, video files or playing game.

One solution that helps is to install Microsoft default drivers for audio instead of Relatek. But in that case I think that audio isn't as good as with Relatek drivers.

Any solution? Maybe this happens because of some Windows Update?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 15th, 2017 08:00

The speaker volume is for testing.  If you can help pin down what is happening or why, Dell might be able to fix it.  If it is some type of current limiting situation, it might be in place to protect the speaker circuits.

The actual speaker volume does also depend on the volume setting of whatever is playing the music .  In some cases, the volume levels don't agree until the volume has been changed.  Adjusting volume levels on other entities may get you a loud enough volume without needing a high output volume level.

When I say volume levels in my first post, I was referring to the green level meters.  When it happened to me, the playing utility level showed as normal but the output device showed little if any volume level.

Did you try opening the Recording dialog window?  It may sound silly but it does seem to have an effect on one situation I encountered.  The fact removing the headphones allows sound again may be significant and point to the operation of that combined audio plug.

4 Posts

January 16th, 2017 06:00

I have also tried that solution (removed Realtek temporarily). Sound fading did not happen but speaker sound was very bad.

In my case, I have disabled Windows Updates. Once the fading sound happened, I updated Windows to latest update and also updated Realtek Driver (downloaded from Dell Support). Still did not solve the problem.

I am currently trying keeping the volume at 67% because I noticed that is the default setting when I installed the drivers. Will update depending on the result. Right now sound fading doesn't happen anymore but we'll see.

Before my volume was always at 100%. I have a feeling that maybe the speaker hardware itself may have degraded due to this and that is why MaxxAudio Pro is aggressively reducing the volume always. If still happens at 100% I am considering calling Dell Premium support and see what they will do with it.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 16th, 2017 08:00

I normally run my onboard speakers around 35%, which if I have iTunes or WMP at full volume, is fine.

I am running the Realtek 8004 version driver but that was two weeks ago and it may have been updated already.

The last one from Dell I saw for my system allowed the problem to happen but I went back to my current driver and have not seen it again.  They have been updating drivers so quickly it is hard to keep track of which ones are current.  I do not let the Dell update utility handle my updates.

I also have a set of external Bluetooth speakers which have a woofer and sound good.  Most of the time I use a Bluetooth headset.  Never had a problem with those.

No Events found!