Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 5520 - Wireless on 5Ghz ?

Hi !

I've an Inspiron 15r (5520). At a friend's place, he had 2 wireless access points - one at 2.4Ghz and the other at 5Ghz. I was not able to detec the 5Ghz signal. Not sure what the exact problem is.

Does the 5520 support 5ghz wireless ? if yes, any ideas what to do to fix it ?

I've recently upgraded the wireless drivers from the dell repository too. Didnt fix it.

Ideas please !! Thanks. :emotion-1:

2.2K Posts

October 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi vibez_well,

Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz) supports 2.4Ghz band/channel only that is why you are unable to connect to 5Ghz channel/band properly.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

2.2K Posts

October 24th, 2013 08:00

Hi vibez_well,

Let us know which of these wireless cards is installed on the system:

D1703 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Half Mini Card
1704 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Half Mini Card
1901 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Half Mini Card
Intel® 2230 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Half Mini Card

It can be that the wireless card is not compatible with 5GHz band/channel.

To check the wireless card type, press Windows key + r. Type devmgmt.msc and click ok. Check for wireless card under network adapters.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region US CustomersIndia CustomersFor Dell support videos click here.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi Manshu,

I've these in place

Broadcom Virtual Wireless adapter

Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4Ghz) 

Thanks.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2013 13:00

Hi Manshu,

So this is a hardware limitation ? wow ! I thought I was getting myself a laptop with pretty decent specs (when i bought it last yr) and here it is no support for 5 Ghz !!

Any suggestions ?

Can I change the wireless card ? Is that available ?

Thanks ! :emotion-21:

2.2K Posts

October 25th, 2013 06:00

Hi vibez_well,

You can connect half-mini WLAN card that supports 5 GHz band/channel.

NOTE: You would need to update the drivers for the WLAN card that you would connect. Part replacement is to be done by a professional only.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

October 25th, 2013 14:00

Hi Manshu,

Relieved to know that I can swap my card for another one:emotion-15:. I shouldlook out for a half-mini WLAN card right..

I see there is an Qualcomm Atheros card available. My current one has a Broadcom chipset, there shouldnt be a problem switching chipsets right ?

Anythign else that I should keep in mind while ordering one ?

Thanks !  :emotion-21:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 25th, 2013 15:00

The chipset doesn't matter - what does though beyond the physical size of the card is whether it needs two or three antenna leads.  If your current system has two leads and you install a card needing three, you won't get the range you want.

5 Posts

October 25th, 2013 16:00

Hi ejn63, 

Thanks for your input !

I see that the card I have in mind has 2 antenna leads (same as the one I have in my laptop). Hope it works out :-)

No Events found!