Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2017 19:00

Inspiron 5545 AC charger not recognized (Battery plugged in, not charging)

All, my Inspiron 15 5000 15-5545 is having an error with the battery charger saying that it is not recognized and that the charger will not charge my computer.  I know that this is an official Dell charger (it is the charger that came with the laptop) - so there shouldn't be an identification issue.  

I have noticed that there is a pin problem, however.  There are six pins in the laptop charging port (2 for charger identification in the middle and the four other pins that connect to the charger itself at the 3, 6, 9, and 12-o'clock positions).  Whenever I plug in my charger the pin at the 6-o'clock position gets bent upward towards the 2 identification pins.  This may also be bending the identification pins upward, but I am not sure because it looks like they are in the same place, just the 6-o'clock pin is not in the same place.  

I believe that this may be the issue, and has this happened to many people before?  Is there a permanent solution to this?  Do I need to replace my charging port?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 18th, 2017 04:00

It sounds likely there's damage to the DC port, yes.  You may want to try another adapter before replacing that.

The DC jack:

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

10 Posts

October 20th, 2017 18:00

I had my DC port replaced on my Inspiron 5545. It still does not charge and will only operate plugged in to the AC adapter.

No Events found!