Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2016 10:00

Inspiron 5547 crack near power button

I noticed this crack today, googled, found that I am not alone with the problem and in fact it's a worse problem than I thought - the case may fall apart and the display might stop working. I like the computer and it's been working fine for a couple of years; maybe I can try the Gorilla Glue fix that was mentioned in one of the posts.

Has Dell improved the case so a replacement won't do the same thing?

1 Attachment

March 1st, 2016 05:00

Hi WalksWithStick,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please private message us the service tag of the system in discussion.

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

2 Posts

May 13th, 2016 21:00

I have the same problem it's in warranty and he tell me it' physical damage. But me i know isn' t physical. give me a update how you repair 

Thx

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2016 01:00

I have the exact same crack for the exact same Inspiron 5547. After bouncing around various Dell support folks, I must now call the out of warranty dept. This seems like a manufacturing defect.

1 Attachment

July 23rd, 2016 18:00

My box was out of Dell warranty but I got it from Costco, so I went to them. After some correspondence they had me send it in. That was a waste of time and effort (but not money, not mine anyway). They decided they didn't have to fix it. Whatever, I didn't want a new box, I just wanted the crack fixed if possible.

When I got the thing back I went to the hardware store and bought some DevCon Plastic Welder on the off chance it would do some good. I didn't expect much. BUT:

It worked. It appears to have made the case as strong as new (it originally took a couple years to come apart). I made sure I worked the Welder into the crack. OK, I smeared some around, and if I'd expected it to work I might have been more careful and made less of a mess. I followed the directions, left it alone for whatever it said plus 50% or more, continued to be careful with it for a couple of weeks. Now I just open and shut the thing without a care in the world - almost - and the crack hasn't given any indication that it will reopen.

DevCon Plastic Welder did the trick. I suppose I may have jinxed the fix now, but I guess that's all right, because I have lots of Welder left. :)

2 Posts

July 24th, 2016 17:00

Thank you for the response. I reached out to Costco AMEX to see if they can cover with their extended warranty.

No Events found!