Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 20th, 2016 16:00

Inspiron 5547 laptop pops open at the right side joint while closing

I am also facing the same hinge problem and luckily now I saw this post. As everyone mentioned I was just closing and opening my laptop and the right side popped open suddenly yesterday.

The replies from dell were exactly same as for other people $159 for the repair and this is an accidental damage. I am surprised with so many posts over 1 year they have not done anything to rectify this problem

According to me they should retake all the laptops sold and should not release this model until this problem is fixed.

Please let me know if anyone else is successful in overcoming this issue.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 21st, 2016 02:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us with your feedback .

There are no inherent issues with the systems. All the systems that are boxed go through a quality check .

From looking at the pictures posted and i have also checked with my product team this is clearly falls under accidental damage and not covered under basic warranty .

Thanks

Robin

April 21st, 2016 09:00

I thought it was accidental damage before seeing this post

en.community.dell.com/.../19622428

Many people have exact problem as mine and I am wondering how all of these can be accidental

damage, as people mentioned in that post I was also just opening and closing my laptop.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 25th, 2016 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

This is due to wear and tear issues which is not covered under basic warranty ..

Thanks

Robin

1 Message

April 28th, 2016 10:00

I am also having this issue. However my issue started right after i received my computer. I had often heard a popping sound after opening/closing my computer and shortly after that i noticed that the right side hinge would open slightly. Unfortunately today the entire side opened as pictured in the above post. i have never dropped or even bumped my computer. If i am not using my computer it is in a safe place and usually in a padded case. I do not open nor close my computer recklessly. 

I have read countless reviews of people with the same problem. At this point i do not even know if i want to contact dell with my problem because from what i understand i will get transferred back and forth for hours only to be told that my issue  is not covered under warranty. 

10 Posts

May 29th, 2016 22:00

I'm having the same problem, on a 5547 that is 18 months old and 6 months out of warranty.  On the right side, the case first gradually cracked, and tonight the hinge broke.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned, though, is that I lost wireless access at the same time.  The computer boots fine, and wireless is turned on, but it says it doesn't see any available networks.  Does anyone here know if it's possible if the breaking hinge may have somehow impacted the laptop's wireless card?  I saw the ethernet port is on the right side, but don't know where the wireless card is located within the laptop.

June 20th, 2016 22:00

Were you able get the issue resolved with  the dell team if yes pls let me know i too have the same issue .

June 21st, 2016 00:00

No I was not able to resolve, basically they keep saying it is wear and tear issue. So I think the only way is pay whatever they ask and get it repaired.

June 21st, 2016 04:00

Yes, the Wireless Antenna Cable goes right above the right side Hinge. So, when the hinge broke, it should have pulled the wire out of the sockets breaking it.

I have the same issue right now and the repair quotation I'm getting is expensive as ***.

10 Posts

June 21st, 2016 14:00

Yep, that was my conclusion as well - the antenna wire was broken when the hinge broke.  I could have lived without the hinge - I don't really need to close the laptop for my use - but I need wireless that works when I'm not in the same room as the router.

I ended up buying a new laptop this week, and I made a point of not getting a Dell this time.  Not pleased with that design at all.

June 21st, 2016 14:00

I am going to buy a new laptop soon and like you said I am also switching from Dell. Very bad experience as my laptop is not even 2 years old.

1 Message

August 1st, 2016 19:00

Dear Robin,

If I design a product well then I would probably honor 'wear and tear' issues under basic warranty - especially within a 1 year period as I would not expect to see many field issues.

Now....if my design is poor, and my product is therefore subject to issues (eg hinge popping out after 6 months average usage), then I would have two choices:

1. out of concern for my brand image, fix the design flaw asap and honor customers' warranty requests

2. employ a support team in India and a warranty team in the Philippines and refuse to assist customers suffering my design flaw misfortune

Right now, I'm $1K invested with a daughter who has really taken care of her Inspiron i7 6700HQ and am experiencing case 2, above but looking for someone at Dell (could that be Robin?) to show me you're more than that as a company...

Yours sincerely,

Jim

1 Message

September 21st, 2016 20:00

Yes; my 5547 (18 months old) have exactly same problem with right side hinge; wireless is good. I this community I see that many people have this issue with 5547. This is definitely manufacturing defect. Have you got any solution from Dell?

532 Posts

September 22nd, 2016 00:00

Hi,

We’ll surely have this reviewed for you. Please PM the service tag, registered owner’s name and your email address, so that we can check the details and let you with the available options. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

No Events found!