Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2017 08:00

Inspiron 5547, warranty does not cover hinge

Hi,

I own a Dell Inspiron 5547. I have purchased a Dell notebook for my wife as well and my choice for the company notebook was also Dell. This was because I have trusted the quality and the 3 year warranty.

Parts Only warranty 11/4/14 - 11/4/15
Carry-in Service/Return to Depot warranty 11/4/14 - 11/4/17

A long time ago, a screw fell out from the notebook and there was no way to put it back, it always came out. Please note that I have never ever tried to do any modifications/repairs on the notebook. As I could not afford to put it into the service for 2 weeks, I've tried to open and close it always with maximum care. Still, it broke eventually and I needed to go to the local Hungarian warranty partner, where I was told that Dell won't cover the issue and I got an offer over USD 150 for repair.

I admit that with turning in the notebook, the damages would have been smaller, but still, the place for the screw would have needed a change and also the plastic and other parts were not as strong as required. I've googled Dell hinge issues and it seems to be a common issue.

In order to keep my trust in Dell, I would like at least a partial guarantee. Else, due to the lack of trust I will need to look for another brand when I will need to replace laptops. This is something I would not like.

Regards,

Aron

10 Posts

October 20th, 2017 18:00

There are two known issues. The hinge nuts were over tightened when assemble and hinge screws without lock tite allowing screws to loosen causing undue stress on the hinge mounts that cause the plastic to crack.

• 

16.6K Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

iron1,

Click the link below for Dells Policy on laptop hinges.

Dell Laptop Hinge Policy

October 18th, 2017 09:00

Jesse,

I have seen the policy. Still, I have used the hinge with maximum care. Even putting my fingers always on it to prevent damages. Preventing warranty for a poorly built part with such a policy seems to be pretty unfair for me. This makes me lose any trust in Dell's warranty.

No Events found!