aseemb
1 Copper

Inspiron 5548 hinge failure

I am also facing same issue like many others for 5548, the hinge is coming out from right side. My laptop is within warranty. Dell says it is usage issue. It seems you sell product thinking people should not use it. In my opinion, it is a design issue. Lot many people have same issue for Inspiron 5548 and that too from same, right side. In my opinion, Dell should have recalled these laptops for faulty design, but they are not ready even to service within warranty. <Legalistic deleted>. When you design something you should consider product durability also and should be responsible for defect because of poor design. Really pity on you Dell, don't believe you are an international seller and unprofessional.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Fishfingers
1 Nickel

RE: Inspiron 5548 hinge failure

I hope you get a resolution.  Otherwise take them to court.  Look at their advertising.  You've clearly used your hinge 20,001 times.

Taken straight off their website advertising Inspirons today.

Designed for the real world — because that's where life happens.

We want you to love your new PC for years to come. That's why we test Inspiron laptops for reliability not just in the places where you expect it, but for the open road ahead.

Turn up the heat: From locker rooms to locked cars, we test Inspiron laptops for survival in harsh short-term heat conditions of up to 65°C/149°F.

Everything hinges on it: We test Inspiron laptop hinges to ensure they still feel tight, even after opening and closing the lid 20,000 times.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You might want to read the "dispute resolution" section here.

www.dell.com/.../terms-of-sale-consumer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fishfingers
1 Nickel

Depends what country you reside in.  In New Zealand you cannot contract out of the Consumer Guarantees Act, so Dell's dispute resolution section is null and void.  I would expect European consumer protection would be even greater.  In Australia, consumer rights and protections are stronger again.

0 Kudos