Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2015 10:00

Inspiron 5558 - 6 Months Old - BROKEN HINGE

I have a 6 month old Inspiron 5558 that won't close properly due to a bad hinge on the right side. Spent an hour with support, only to tell me that this is not covered under warranty, even though there is still another 6 months left under Mfg warranty. The hinge is cracked, which in turn has cracked the cover of the LCD. In order to close the laptop, we have to squeeze the hinge with the screen, and slowly close. From reading through posts, it appears that Dell has ongoing issues with hinges. I totally understand and would expect a two year old device not to be covered, but at 6 months? And a broken hinge is not covered? Anyone have any thoughts?

1 Message

May 9th, 2016 11:00

I have a 3 months old Dell Inspiron 5558. the hinge kit screw on the right side was damaged. Communicated with the customer support and got the reply that it is not covered under warranty. Very worst support. the main thing is Laptop  is still on a warranty cover. The spares the Dell using is not reliable. If it is accidentally dropped and broken that is fine we can bear the cost but it is due to the poor quality of spares. I will not suggest anyone to buy a Dell product. 

March 7th, 2016 07:00

Mine was covered, but it does seem to be a weak point in the design.

1 Message

April 21st, 2016 05:00

I am facing the same issue now.  Did you manage to get it repaired? Please let know how..

3 Posts

April 21st, 2016 09:00

Nope. Nothing. I had many calls with support and they still insisted that it's normal wear and tear on the machine. I purchased through Costco, and they tried calling support and received the same answer. Long story short, I will never purchase a Dell device again. Ever. 

2 Posts

May 20th, 2016 21:00

I   have same thing  exactly a 6 month old Inspiron 5558 that won't close properly due to a bad hinge on the right side. Spent over an hour with support, only to tell me that this is not covered under warranty, even though there is still another 6 months left under Mfg warranty.  Though I cant even see the crack on the hinge  I now wont even close mine right now . I spoke with Sreejith from the Advanced resolution Group an he said I was at fault and it did not matter he was the final word on everything. After speaking with him,  I  have filed reports with my friendly neighborhood BBB and FTC. I provided links to several of the forums where people are complaining about the hinge issues. I am also Tweeting about it .Good luck to everyone! Have blessed day

1 Message

June 16th, 2016 21:00

Same problem with my 9 month old 5558. Contacted Dell and was told that this was damage and would not be covered under warranty. The computer has never been dropped or otherwise damaged. Dell says that the damage is from opening and closing the laptop !!! This is an issue of shoddy hardware and occurs in many of their laptop models as evident from a quick search of the internet. Dell wants me to pay $269.00 to have the laptop repaired even though it is still under "warranty".

<ADMIN NOTE: Removed as per TOU>

Dell doesn't want to pay for their substandard equipment and pretends that the problem is unique to each person who contacts them for help. I would suggest that purchases from Dell are ill-advised.

3 Posts

July 13th, 2016 12:00

The power button stopped working on my laptop. Sent it in to support for repair (still under warranty at the time) but they would not repair power button, I assume since you could not open the screen. Like you, they wanted $269 to repair the button and the screen. I took it upon myself to self repair. Parts-People . Com have good videos and Dell parts. I purchased the bevel and the power button from them. I had to purchase the lid cover from eBay. The total cost was roughly $79. From the video I was able to fix the laptop myself. When I took apart the screen lid, I found that the screws that attach the hinges to the lid, busted the screw holes from the lid. I'll try to attach a picture, incase Dell support happens to check these posts. There were bits of plastic floating around inside from the broken plastic. I am extremely disappointed in Dell and their support. 

1 Message

September 25th, 2016 20:00

Same thing, 5 months old. "Customer induced failure". Dell, are you listening? After touting you for over 10 years, I'm done. Last Dell.

BTW here is a tutorial on how to repair the hinge. Beyond what I want to do but if I can't find anyone else, I may try it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkYfAqEvYSc

And you can buy a full set of hinges on ebay for less than $5.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/381698778412?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 18:00

I have the same problem with my 9 month old Inspiron 5558.  The hinge on the R side has malfunctioned and Dell said it was not covered.  Again, there was no drop, spill or accidental damage done to the laptop.  They argued that it broke from me closing the cover.  Seems like there is a manufacturing defect in the hinge that needs to be addressed by Dell.  As of now, they are just ignoring it!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 26th, 2016 21:00

Hinges are part of the Dell "Normal wear and tear" policy. Read the announcement at the top of this Laptop General Hardware board, "Dell Laptop Hinge Policy".

No Events found!