Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2016 16:00

Inspiron 5558 - Screen flickering

Hi all, 

I have been having an issue with my Inspiron 5558 for a few months now. The screen will flicker when the lid is moved, and sometimes when it's stationary. This issue occurs in BIOS. I have sent the laptop into the Dell repair depot twice now to be repaired, but it's such a terrible experience (they replaced my hard drive, put my laptop on hold, etc etc) and they haven't solved the issue so I'm going to have to take the issue into my own hands. I have seen a few posts that mention a loose connection wire - can anyone confirm this? Has anyone had similar issues? I'm getting very frustrated at this point.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2016 07:00

* What operating system?
* What GPU video card?
* Boot the operating system into safe mode. Do you see the flicker?
* Boot back into normal mode
* Connect an external monitor to the laptop. Do you see the flicker?

2 Posts

November 21st, 2016 07:00

Hi Chris, thanks for your response. Operating system is Windows 10 Home. Video card is the generic HD graphics 5550. I have already done the boot into safe mode/external monitor hook-up  tests for other Dell technicians (as I have sent it to the Dell repair depot twice). The flicker still occurs.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2016 08:00

If the flicker is seen on the external monitor, then the culprit is the laptop GPU.

If the flicker is NOT seen on the external monitor, the fault is either the laptop LCD cabling or the laptop LCD itself.

No Events found!